facebook

new sorority?

by: new?

is UGA expected to get any new sororities colonies (or old sororities recolonizing) in the next few years?

Posted By: new?
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 2
#1  by: Not now   

Panhellenic isn't open for extension, but if it opens in the next year or two, Delta Phi Epsilon had an agreement when they closed that they would be first in line if they wanted to come back.

By: Not now
by: 2015Oct 23, 2014 1:26:27 PM

According to the new panhellenic minutes, Delta Phi Epsilon will come back Fall 2015 and a new sorority is slated to join later - probably Fall 2017.

By: 2015
by: blahOct 24, 2014 8:21:14 AM

I wish it was like a normal extension process and it could just be Alpha Xi Delta and Alpha Phi. Delta Phi Epsilon is just not good and when they used to be at UGA they were just like SDT.

By: blah
by: sororityNov 5, 2014 8:49:49 PM

I know! They were horrible and struggled until they closed last time They are nationally weak too. How do they expect to keep up and have a nice house? Alpha Phi would be the way to go,

By: sorority
#2  by: new info   

Actually, via the meeting minutes on the panhellenic website, as of yesterday, UGA has formally voted for expansion and to invite multiple groups to colonize/recolonize (a process called stacking). Both Delta Phi Epsilon (closed in 2007) and Alpha Xi Delta (closed 1974) have previously had chapters at UGA.

The agreement may be in place but it depends on if DPhiE is interested at this time, as they do have other colonies, including North Georgia.

Groups not currently at UGA: Alpha Xi Delta, Delta Phi Epsilon, Alpha Epsilon Phi, Alpha Phi, Alpha Sigma Alpha, Alpha Sigma Tau, Phi Sigma Sigma, Sigma Sigma Sigma and Theta Phi Alpha

I think Alpha Xi Delta and Alpha Phi could be good contenders, though Alpha Phi does have a bit of a heavy expansion schedule at this point.

By: new info
by: best chance for successOct 15, 2014 10:48:27 PM

Of the groups listed, Alpha Phi is hands down the strongest and most desirable. Then there's quite a drop to the others. Alpha Xi Delta fills a niche, of sorts - but it's not strong nationally although it wants to be.

By: best chance for success
by: housingOct 16, 2014 9:12:35 AM

But where would they put a house?

By: housing
by: re:Oct 16, 2014 5:09:58 PM

Gotta start expanding to schools like Georgia to get national strength

By: re:
by: sororityNov 1, 2014 4:52:21 PM

Whatever sorority is slated to come to UGA must A)be already be at other southern schools and B)will more than likely not have a house for awhile.

By: sorority
by: re: Alpha PhiNov 12, 2014 6:19:47 PM

Alpha Phi only has one chapter in the entire state of Georgia, at Tech, and they're AWFUL.

By: re: Alpha Phi
by: ^Nov 14, 2014 8:37:45 PM

actually they've started improving a lot especially for only being there for a few years.

By: ^
by: ^Nov 15, 2014 4:32:38 PM

No, they haven't. Take it from someone who knows. Alpha Phi is only marginally better than when they started at Tech. They're ratchet and a huge joke among the greek system. They only reason they "appear" to have improved is because Alpha Gam and AXO have gotten SO bad there.

by: ^Nov 17, 2014 2:46:39 PM

Obviously chapters are different from campus to campus, but who you would like to see join?

by: wellNov 18, 2014 12:08:23 PM

I was just making a point that Alpha Phi isn't necessarily the hands down, strongest, most desirable, most likely group to join when you consider their already heavy expansion schedule and the fact that they only have one chapter in the state of Georgia and it's a terrible chapter.

I think since Alpha Xi Delta has been at UGA before, that should be given consideration, I think Alpha Phi could be good, but again, there are issues I've already described. Those two are obviously the strongest contenders as the remaining groups are small nationals, but after those two, AST and Sigma could be good fits.

By: well
by: Alpha PhiNov 19, 2014 7:42:25 PM

Just committed to UF for 2017, so they're probably out of the running.

By: Alpha Phi
#3  by: true^^^   

Housing is the problem, you have to have a nice somewhat near milledge/campus to be competitive, and that probably won't happen. It would be cool if they expanded greek circle though.

By: true^^^
by: ^ YepNov 1, 2014 12:58:57 PM

DPhiE will be at a disadvantage if they can't get a decent house -- they sold their old one on Lumpkin to the university after they closed.

By: ^ Yep
by: plusNov 2, 2014 10:39:49 PM

not to mention, since they closed more recently than not, 2007, its possible they could impacted by their old rep. I guess we'll have to see what happens.

By: plus
#4  by: When?   

Will expansion began next fall then?

By: When?
by: yesNov 10, 2014 9:06:07 AM

DPhiE is slated to recolonize Fall 2015 and whichever other sorority is picked will be Fall 2017

By: yes
#5  by: gogreek   

Dphie is the fastest growing of all the panhellenic sororities and have new chapters at Georgia Southern and North Georgia. The chapter at Southern is building an amazing house this year and their nationals is helping a lot. It is also the top sorority at Kennessaw and has been forever.

By: gogreek
by: ...Nov 14, 2014 8:34:27 PM

fastest growing because they have so many places to expand due to a smaller amount of chapters.

By: ...
by: ohNov 15, 2014 4:33:29 PM

and they're doing terrible at Southern, taking only half of quota because they can't get girls.

By: oh
by: AndNov 17, 2014 1:08:03 AM

Being the top sorority at KSU is like being the smartest kid on the short bus.

By: And
by: hahaDec 17, 2014 12:15:37 AM

Dphie is weak sauce. Weak nationally. Weak in the south. Weak financially. They failed miserably here before. It's time for new blood, and I can't believe that they're being allowed to come back first.

By: haha
#6  by: UGA girl   

DPhiE will be on campus this coming Fall, during the 2015 Recruitment year. Alpha Phi is MOST LIKELY the sorority that will arrive on campus Fall 2017. It is not certain yet but most everyone wants Alpha Phi. They have a fairly strong chapter at some schools in the south, and it would be a desirable house for girls coming through recruitment. Adding houses is so so beneficial to our campus because so many girls got cut from recruitment this year. I am a freshman, so I just participated in Recruitment 2014 and saw so many girls with their hearts broken. My sorority voted in favor of expansion so that of the 1600+ girls who came through recruitment this year, more than 1200 can find good fits. I'm excited!!

By: UGA girl
by: uhhDec 18, 2014 11:49:28 PM

It may have been a little harsh but the girl who posted stated she had just gone through recruitment and was talking about things like she knew how it works, and imo, the other poster was actually helpful in explaining how expansion works

By: uhh
by: ?Dec 19, 2014 6:59:17 PM

okay she obviously didn't know the exact facts of expansion but she was saying things she'd heard. yall just need to calm down a little bit haha it's not the end of the world

By: ?
#7  by: jw   

any updates on who has been invited to present?

By: jw
by: GreekChat saysDec 15, 2014 11:03:55 AM

It's Alpha Phi and Alpha Xi Delta.

By: GreekChat says
by: re:Dec 15, 2014 9:46:26 PM

Thanks! Can't wait for presentations!

By: re:
by: Of the twoDec 17, 2014 6:29:11 AM

who do you think will be chosen?

By: Of the two
by: opinionDec 17, 2014 9:56:02 PM

my opinion but I have a feeling it will be Alpha Xi Delta. Like somebody said upthread, Alpha Phi only has one chapter in the state, at Tech and they're not very good. Plus they have a really heavy expansion schedule and they're already committed to University of Florida for the same semester this colony is supposed to happen. Alpha Xi has more chapters in Georgia and some pretty strong ones, plus they'll have a chapter at Kennesaw by the time this colony happens and they just have more resources available for a colony at the time this is all supposed to happen. And they've been here before.

By: opinion
by: my opinionDec 18, 2014 8:25:12 AM

Personally, I think we need new blood. Alpha Xi has already tried and failed at UGA. I don't think number of chapters in GA is as important as chapters at similar schools. Both would make great additions, though. I also think Alpha Phi wouldn't have bothered applying if they didn't have the resources for a UF and UGA colony, but what do I know?

By: my opinion
by: ^Dec 18, 2014 11:10:31 AM

also, their chapter closed in 1974...I hardly think that precludes them from being "new blood" since it was SO long ago. It'll be "new blood" either way.

#8  by: My Thoughts...   

I think both organizations would do well and that it will be a very close decision. Alpha Xi "tried and failed" 20+ years ago, when every organization had closures all over the country. Things have really changed since then, I don't think that it should hurt them.

By: My Thoughts...
#9  by: ^   

agree with this. Literally every single organization saw major closures through the 70s and 80s due to culture at the time and recently we've only seen more and more people going greek. I definitely don't think that will be an issue for any group this time around.

#10  by: "New blood"   

Other than Alpha Phi and AXiD, that leaves groups that are even weaker nationally/in the South than DPhiE:

Alpha Epsilon Phi
Alpha Sigma Alpha
Alpha Sigma Tau
Phi Sigma Sigma
Sigma Sigma Sigma
Theta Phi Alpha

By: "New blood"
by: trueDec 21, 2014 5:04:52 PM

and none of those groups either submitted an interest packet or were selected to present at this time

By: true
by: Farmville FourDec 27, 2014 5:27:44 PM

I vote Alpha Sigma Alpha, why not?

By: Farmville Four
by: noDec 28, 2014 10:07:31 PM

yeah, that's not how it works. First off, ASA either did not choose to submit an interest packet, as in their headquarters is either not interested or not financially capable of colonizing at UGA at this time, or if they did submit an interest packet (unlikely since only 2 groups were chosen to present), they weren't picked. They only have 1 chapter in Georgia at Valdosta State and are one of the smallest NPC groups with only 91 chapters.

A group has to be financially able to support a big money colony and needs to have chapters at similar schools as well as multiple chapters in the state

By: no

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.