facebook

national prestige

by: gigem

According to G. William Domhoff, in Who Rules America? (Seventh edition, p. 57), upper-class college women "joined one of the four or five sororities with nationwide social prestige (e.g. Kappa Kappa Gamma, Kappa Alpha Theta, Pi Beta Phi, and Delta Delta Delta)."

Posted By: gigem
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 2
#1  by: ha ha   

Too bad that man knows so little about sororities that he doesn't realize that every house's reputation is local, not national. It seems that the houses that rely on "national reputation" on here are the ones with a weaker local reputation. You gotta throw what you know.

By: ha ha
#2  by: findings   

this was based on research of the upper class in America, which schools, sororities, affiliations were most common. And this hold true at A&M and other Texas schools

By: findings
by: please stopMar 17, 2015 10:49:16 PM

This why people don't take sorority girls seriously. This is a catty way of trying to make people believe some sororities are better than others. I may be member of one of the sororities listed but I would never believe a lesser known house would not be as good as mine!

By: please stop
#3  by: Lol   

Lolz at the fact my families in oil and has been for awhile and I went to a well known private school and I'm not in any of those sororities

By: Lol
by: HaMar 17, 2015 11:14:47 PM

And apparently for all that private school and oil money you still don't know proper grammar. Probably explains why you're not in any of those four. Seriously, oilfield princesses have a bad enough rep, you're just adding to it.

By: Ha
by: OMG! !Mar 17, 2015 11:24:42 PM

Bless your heart Ha, do you feel better about yourself now? I am really amazed by this. I wonder how your house would feel about how you just attacked another person on here? This is sad day!!

By: OMG! !
by: ^Mar 18, 2015 2:56:07 AM

Calm down granny and take your Xanax... She does have a bit of a point

By: ^
by: not againMar 28, 2015 12:20:03 AM

I am so embarrassed for my school. Pm's we do not all act like this. Just because 5 of our first ladies where in a sorority does not mean anything in fact that research has shown to be manipulated so many times. Ladies look up the article and reviews on it yourself. This girl twisted it and by the way when you look up sororities wealth your pkt. Concept goes out the window. Several sororities are wealthier meaning girls with money . Maybe you should read more current articles

By: not again
#4  by: My god   

You girls are all so catty. Get a life

By: My god
#5  by: Problem   

Did anyone ever stop to think that the writer was biased towards those five sororities? Probably not. There is no such thing as sororities with the most nationwide prestige, if you can't back it up with statistics...and this is not just X sorority has the most members so it is therefore the most prestigious.

By: Problem
by: yes andMar 18, 2015 12:52:55 PM

Thank you!!

By: yes and
by: Top 1%Mar 18, 2015 3:12:35 PM

This was based on research he didn't choose the schools sororities clubs careers these people are involved in. It's a book about the wealthy across america. It is what it is.

By: Top 1%
#6  by: ok   

And the book is relevant because???? What is the point you are really trying to get across right now? Please explain, it is not coming across in a good light.

By: ok
#7  by: Gosh   

Why do ANY of you care about what this guy wrote? He's talking about the upper class, not the upper middle class, so that excludes about 90% of y'all (including myself) so what he has to say doesn't affect any of us. But there is a grain of truth to what he says. All US First Ladies who have been in GLOs have been in PKT, and those 4 are known to pledge wealthy girls. They're considered top tier at UT, SMU, and wherever there are a lot of traditionally Greek wealthy families. As "proof," think to yourselves which houses here at A$M are (in)famous for pledging HP, Memorial, private school girls and you'll see Mr. Domhoff's point. I don't consider myself wealthy and frankly I don't care, and neither should you. Work hard, improve your house, stay positive, and prove that wealth isn't everything.

By: Gosh
#8  by: soho girl   

lol

By: soho girl
#9  by: wow   

You know I guess it depends on where you are from theta and phi pi are good in Texas but once you hit the mason Dixon line all the way to Virginia they are either mid or lower tier. Truthfully greek life is even bigger in the south so this ridiculous.

By: wow
by: ?Mar 26, 2015 5:22:01 PM

Dear if you're heading north you'll hit Virginia and then the Mason-Dixon Line, not the other way around. Are you trying to say that Theta and Pi Phi aren't good in the South outside of Texas? Well I'd say that you're right, but that's not the point Domohoff is making. He's saying the wealthy send their daughters to Theta/Pi Phi, and at the time he wrote the book 50 some years ago (which is even true today) most of the country's wealth was concentrated in the Northeast and wealthy kids went to private liberal arts schools. Just look at the Ivy Leagues, these 4 sororities show up everywhere.

By: ?
by: ^^^ not accurateMar 26, 2015 9:27:53 PM

The most selective schools in the south where a lot of wealth goes:

Vanderbilt Georgia Florida Emory Virginia Kentucky SMU - Theta is top tier

Vanderbilt Tulane Virginia Wake Forest Duke William & Mary Georgia SMU - Kappa is top tier

Pi Phi - Missouri Duke Tulane SMU

By: ^^^ not accurate
by: @Not AccurateMar 26, 2015 10:56:22 PM

Of those schools I'd say the wealthy only attend Vanderbilt, Emory, Duke, William and Mary, UVA, and SMU (which is in Texas).

Mostly truly wealthy will still go Ivy League and if not then Georgetown, NYU, Tufts, Boston College, the 7 Sisters, U of Chicago (if you're liberal), or UC Santa Barbara (if you want to party).

I don't know if you're addressing me or 'wow' but I was addressing the power of PKT in the South in general (meaning at the big SEC schools) because wow was talking about the south in broad terms.

By: @Not Accurate
#10  by: HA HA   

And they forgot to mention that the numbers of Greek First Ladies is less than the number of ladies who were NOT GREEK!

By: HA HA

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.