facebook

out of state student considering rushing

by: OOS

If this has been recently asked, I do not see it so I apologize for any redundancy. I am entering A&M as a freshman from California and while looking at the various fraternities, I see an extremely high percentage of Texans (In fact, I don't remember seeing any OOS students on rosters that I could view).

Are some houses unaccepting of OOS? My sister attends UGA and some houses (frats and sororities) take few to none from outside the South. I was recruited by several houses (last trip out there she took me around again) there to attend and I would be preferred allegedly. But I do not want to follow her.

Couple other questions:

I need to keep grades (academic scholarship) up. Is that difficult in a fraternity?

Does the fraternity have to be my sole existence? I have a couple interests outside of school and will fly home randomly for those personal interests (not to conflict with planned school activities of course).

I won't have a car my first year. Is that a problem?

Thank you in advance and I am excited to be an Aggie.

Posted By: OOS
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: Truthfully   

Being from out of state should not be a problem. Almost every big fraternity here has at least a couple kids from other states, it's just not as common because so many Texans go here so naturally there's gonna be mainly texans in our fraternities. If you know how to prioritize and manage your time grades will not be hard to keep up, most fraternities here have a higher GPA than the avg student body I believe. And no, your fraternity won be your sole existence. Most fraternity members are also a part of different organizations, some have jobs, do volunteer work, operate in student government, etc. However, your 1st semester, pledgeship will limit your activities. Don't expect to be able to go home often or do a lot outside of pledgeship unless your joining one of the really small fraternities that don't take pledgeship seriously. Having a car will also be expected of you during pledgeship, but I know people who made it through without a car so you should be fine

By: Truthfully
#2  by: OOS   

Thank you. That is basically the information t I was looking for.

By: OOS
by: FYIApr 19, 2014 12:13:55 AM

I know Beta has been 1 in grades the past 3 semesters and is considered a top tier house along with KA FIJI and SAE

By: FYI
by: ^Apr 19, 2014 3:36:24 AM

just FYI Beta is #1 in grades but nobody considers them anywhere near top tier. That being said, tier really isn't that important at A&M as long as your in the top 10 or so fraternities

By: ^
by: Both of youApr 19, 2014 1:52:27 PM

First off Beta isn't anywhere close to top tier, and SAE arguably isn't top tier either. Second off, stop promoting on this website, that's what Fall rush is for. Third off, this rushee didn't ask about tier, he had legitimate questions to ask. Now stop making Greek Life look bad and take your stupid "tier" arguments somewhere else

By: Both of you
#3  by: Uhh   

Are you sure Beta is #1 with grades? I thought they were rich boys with attitudes.

By: Uhh
by: JulieApr 19, 2014 11:50:26 AM

SAE claims to be in the top three which is a joke.

By: Julie
by: ^Apr 19, 2014 1:50:10 PM

Where did that come from? And what's that have to do with anything?

by: IFC gradesApr 19, 2014 11:41:01 PM

gpa/membership
Alpha Gamma Rho 2.85 34
Alpha Tau Omega 3.00 50
Beta Theta Pi 3.06 95
Chi Phi 2.98 17
Delta Kappa Epsilon 2.78 25
Delta Sigma Phi 3.11 30
Delta Tau Delta 2.98 114
Farmhouse 2.81 27
Kappa Alpha Order 2.87 107
Kappa Sigma 2.98 69
Phi Delta Theta 2.78 36
Phi Gamma Delta 3.04 141
Pi Kappa Alpha 3.02 118
Sigma Alpha Epsilon 2.80 111
Sigma Alpha Mu 2.60 31
Sigma Chi 2.85 77
Sigma Nu 2.78 50
Sigma Phi Epsilon 2.93 76

By: IFC grades
by: UhhApr 23, 2014 4:45:18 PM

I think it has to do with the fact that SAE is on here all the time. Hence the quick and defensive reply from the poor ole chap.

By: Uhh
#4  by: OOS   

I've talked to my family and I will get a truck/car when I get out there. If I chose to join a house that offers me a bid, I will not be leaving on weekends for home as a pledge. But later on, I will be heading home on weekends once in a while (outside activity).

Not sure about the debates above but I care less about popular and more about whom I think I will get along with. Excited to be an Aggie.

By: OOS
by: ^Apr 20, 2014 12:58:39 AM

That would probably work best for you. Tier honestly doesn't matter and you're right in looking for a group of guys you belong with instead of who's the most "popular". While lost on some chapters, the point of fraternity is after all, brotherhood

#5  by: Bob Saget   

youre freaking me out with this (outside activty), man

By: Bob Saget
#6  by: this   

Yep

By: this

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.