facebook

rushing overview

by: ....

Does anyone want to give an overview of what the whole process of rushing for a sorority is like? I want to go to TCU next year and rush but I kind of want to learn more about the process... is there a possibility that you don't get a bid at all?

Posted By: ....
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 5
#1  by: Sorority mom   

It was VERY stressful for my daughter this past fall. We were told that
recs were not important--do not believe this. Get as many recs as you can. Also, we were very naive about the process. We had no idea that girls were going back through who had dropped out the previous year. This makes for less spots for the incoming freshmen. A high GPA is very important to some of the top sororities. So, there were a lot of hidden factors that we were not aware of. My daughter was devastated when she got cut the first day from a lot of what she perceived as the "top sororities". However, she did end up pledging and is happy with her current sorority.
There are more girls who ended up dropping out than what we were told. My advice is to go into the process open-minded. Don't be disappointed if you don't get invited back to a lot of the sororities--there are many terrific girls who go through Rush that do not end up with the sorority of their choice. TCU has a lot of cute, smart girls. Just know that the process is very competitive. Lots of luck and hope this information helps you!

By: Sorority mom
by: RecruitmentDec 13, 2014 11:20:02 PM

This person paints a true picture of the process that includes the struggles along with the triumphs.

By: Recruitment
by: ADec 26, 2014 12:45:22 AM

A honest post

By: A
by: RankerDec 26, 2014 1:29:24 AM

Incoming girls should read this

By: Ranker
by: okJan 5, 2015 11:31:00 AM

somebody needs to tell sorority mom to let her daughter speak and experience things for herself.

By: ok
by: TCUJan 7, 2015 9:09:40 PM

This may be a moms answer but it is the way things go.

By: TCU
by: GirlJan 8, 2015 9:04:34 PM

Sorority moms answer is honest and truthful

By: Girl
by: SistersJan 26, 2015 12:07:04 AM

No matter who posted this it doesn't make it less true. The above response is a clear picture to warn and prepare girls for what to expect.

By: Sisters
by: ChickFeb 13, 2015 3:34:24 PM

Not trying to freak anyone out but this is the way things are.

By: Chick
by: SnowFeb 23, 2015 5:40:31 PM

Mom does know best because this is the way things are!

By: Snow
by: GemMar 30, 2015 10:29:23 PM

Honest information

By: Gem
by: SassySoroMar 31, 2015 6:16:52 PM

Preach

By: SassySoro
by: ChrcjknkApr 5, 2015 6:17:47 PM

Mama knows best on this one

By: Chrcjknk
by: FRoGApr 7, 2015 5:50:08 PM

Girls need to read this

By: FRoG
by: SotApr 8, 2015 2:19:06 AM

You have to give the mom on here credit for being honest good morning girls that this will not be an easy or stress three at Brent but if you stick with it it will be well worth it.

By: Sot
by: JtcApr 16, 2015 6:05:29 PM

Real worl what to expect

By: Jtc
by: TxfrogApr 19, 2015 8:03:32 PM

The way things are

By: Txfrog
by: Answered May 1, 2015 11:22:41 PM

I like what this woman has to say because she doesn't cany coat things but just tells things they way they are.

By: Answered
by: SummertimeMay 2, 2015 8:10:49 PM

This lady speaks the reality of recruitment

By: Summertime
by: Rainbow May 6, 2015 10:59:29 AM

Helpful but scary

By: Rainbow
by: Karat May 9, 2015 2:32:54 PM

True life girls

By: Karat
by: Tcu chickieMay 17, 2015 4:29:54 PM

It may have been a mom that took the time to write this but no one can argue that it's a fairly accurate answer.

By: Tcu chickie
by: MeMay 25, 2015 12:02:27 AM

Moms need to keep off this site. This is completely wrong. The number of non-freshmen going through recruitment has nothing to do with the number of bids available. Quota is based on the total number of PNMs going through and still in the process on preference day, no matter what their class standing.

By: Me
#2  by: Sorority girl   

Just know that the process is extremely competitive with almost 1000 girls and not enough spots. If you know no one and do not have a legacy, make sure that you have recs. Even though you may be attractive, well spoken and smart, you may not get the sorority that you desire. Just be open minded and only complete the process if you are sure that the sorority that chooses you is the one that you feel a connection with.

By: Sorority girl
by: Answer Dec 25, 2014 11:57:28 AM

Well written

By: Answer
by: Where things standJan 4, 2015 1:08:57 PM

This is a realistic answer.

By: Where things stand
by: MeMay 25, 2015 12:05:19 AM

There are enough spots for everyone! Quota is based on the number of PNMs, not a set number. That doesn't mean that everyone will get their desired house though. As long as you keep an open mind, you will get a bid unless you do something awful!

#3  by: Hello   

Lots of truths on this answers.

By: Hello
#4  by: Sorority girl   

In retrospect, I wish I had waited until spring rush or the next year, before I accepted a bid. This would have given me more time to get to know the sororities and I believe that I would have chosen differently.

By: Sorority girl
by: FroooogggggDec 20, 2014 9:55:17 PM

Agreed

By: Frooooggggg
by: TcUDec 26, 2014 7:20:50 PM

Spring is way more chill so take advance.

By: TcU
#5  by: School News   

Lots of good tips are on this post

By: School News
#6  by: Fresh   

I like what sorority girl said earlier. With so many girls things are kind of impossible to predict. You do have to stay open minded! You can always learn more about groups and see what is available in the spring too. Not every house has openings but the stress level is way lower.

By: Fresh
by: HmmmJan 5, 2015 12:48:40 PM

I wouldn't suggest people don't try fall recruitment because its hard, just be prepared and don't think you will only take a certain house because you likely will be disappointed. It's a growing experience and things turn out right in the end.

By: Hmmm
#7  by: :-/   

This entire thread has important facts on the real deal recruitment here.

By: :-/
by: --Jan 8, 2015 11:26:52 PM

I totally agree--not to freak anyone out but recruitment is one of my more intense life experiences that wasn't dealing with serious life issues. Be prepared, be open minded, be your best but realize their are about 1000 other girls doing the same.

By: --
#8  by: Sorority mom   

To "ok": The question was asked for "anyone" to respond. This is my first time ever to reply to a question on this site. As long as the answer is sincere and helpful, does it really matter who replies?

By: Sorority mom
by: UhhFeb 10, 2015 2:08:22 PM

Why is a sorority mom even on greek rank?

By: Uhh
by: MeMay 25, 2015 12:06:54 AM

Because moms like her have to live their lives through their daughters, even if they are giving out completely inaccurate information to impressionable PNMs who are needing answers.

#9  by: D   

Everyone here was a high achiever in high school. The girls are ridiculously beautiful, smart, monied and polished. Every house has a limited number of openings. It is hugely emotional and tough if you think you know what house you belong in-you don't. I wouldn't want to go through it again and if anyone says they would they are lying or had mommy pay for a spot in the Chi Omega house. All the negatives cannot outdo the positives though. I have made friends for life and been deeply involved on campus in ways GDI students wouldn't be able to do. Be brave, open minded and jump in with both feet.

By: D
#10  by: D   

Everyone here was a high achiever in high school. The girls are ridiculously beautiful, smart, monied and polished. Every house has a limited number of openings. It is hugely emotional and tough if you think you know what house you belong in-you don't. I wouldn't want to go through it again and if anyone says they would they are lying or had mommy pay for a spot in the Chi Omega house. All the negatives cannot outdo the positives though. I have made friends for life and been deeply involved on campus in ways GDI students wouldn't be able to do. Be brave, open minded and jump in with both feet.

By: D
by: GirlFeb 23, 2015 5:09:01 PM

Be open minded and you will be fine.

By: Girl

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.