facebook

fall sorority recruitment 2014

by: PNM

Hi everyone! I'm going to be a freshman at Iowa State this fall, and I'm really interested in going through recruitment. I was wondering, how important are reference letters? Also, I am a legacy for one chapter, does that help at all? If anyone could share their thoughts (pros/cons, maybe?) for each sorority, that would really help! Thanks!

Posted By: PNM
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: Fratttt   

Being a legacy is cool and definitely can improve your chances of getting into a particular sorority. I've heard reference letters do not matter too much even for the so called "top tier" sororities. Most I've talked to about recruitment is just about really getting to know the women you're talking to on a personal level. Is their a sorority in particular that interests you? I mean it's pretty easy to stereotype Greek chapters as most in and out of Greek life constantly do so.

By: Fratttt
by: PNMApr 23, 2014 10:48:40 PM

Thanks for that! I know that references are a must at some schools, but I guess not at ISU. I'm really interested in Pi Phi, Kappa, ADPi, Chi Omega, and Alpha Gam, all for different reasons and I would like to know what they're like at Iowa State. I'm also a legacy for Tri Delta and Theta, could you tell me about them too?

By: PNM
by: zzzMay 6, 2014 12:34:20 AM

All those houses are pretty solid, the more "top tier" houses are Kappas, Chi Os, and Tri Delts... Thetas are kind of known as more bottom tier but are very involved in campus. Tri delts are pretty solid but can be pretty uptight on some stupid stuff, they used to be terrible with actually participating in greek life things like Homecoming events/Greek week, however this past year they really did a great job.

By: zzz
#2  by: Isu   

My best advice, make an effort on your outfits (hair makeup ect). It sounds superficial but if you look nice it's easier to have a genuine conversation than when you look like you just rolled out of bed. Some girls don't want to admit it but looks matter. Also be yourself. Don't rely on the rankings on this site. They're BS. Go through recruitment and get a feel of the houses, make sure to keep your mind open! Don't shut out a house because it's "bottom tier" and don't pref a house just because it's "Top tier" if you pick a house based on superficial rankings and stereotypes, chances are you're going to regret joining it. Keep an open mind and an open heart and you'll find your new home.

By: Isu
by: PNMMay 7, 2014 7:03:17 PM

I'll definitely keep an open mind, thanks so much!

By: PNM
#3  by: ISUX   

Pi Phi, Kappa, ADPi, Chi Omega, and Alpha Gam
All these houses are GREAT! Honestly though, I tried to look up as much as I could before going through and being biased before only screwed me up. Just go in with an open mind to any house and find the house that best fits you. Not what it's reputation is on campus, because it's probably not true.

By: ISUX
#4  by: Andrea   

As Isu said, what others think should have no bearing on where you pledge. It doesn't matter what your mom, your sister, your roommate or your friends say. YOU have to live with the women in the sorority. Just relax, be yourself, and if it's meant to be, it will happen. If formal recruitment isn't for you, you can always pledge a house later, so only do it if it feels right to you. Keep in mind that being a legacy is no guarantee you'll be in that house...and that's OK. You don't want to live with people you don't click with. However, the houses where you are a legacy will make a special effort to get to know you to help you both decide if it's a good fit for you both. No matter what happens, you'll meet a lot of awesome people. Have fun!

By: Andrea
#5  by: Cmonsensical   

Isn't society as a whole way past packaging you with other stereotypes of who you look like you belong with? We don't really need another exclusionary, elitist organization that defines itself more by who it keeps out than who it lets in do we? It's all Greek to me...

By: Cmonsensical

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.