facebook

legacies

by: hmm

Are legacies for sororities heavily considered during rush??? One of my rec writers just told me this and it's worrying me

Posted By: hmm
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: Maybe   

In house legacies are heavily considered. To drop an in house we better have a good reason.

A regular legacy (someone who's mom or grandmother went to another school) will be treated just like any other pnm.

By: Maybe
#2  by: Yes   

Chapter legacies (mother, sister, grandmother were in that sorority at ole miss) are HEAVILY considered. You basically have an automatic bid unless you're a major screw up.

Regular legacies (family member didn't go to ole miss) are not as important. You might get a second glance, but you're not more special than any other pnm.

By: Yes
by: wait May 28, 2015 3:20:33 PM

I knew chapter legacies were considered way more than non-chapter legacies, but I didn't think you have an automatic bid unless you're a major screw up. I am a chapter legacy to a top tier house but I'm really nothing special. I love her chapter and know a few girls currently in it (some are going to be graduating though) but we're not great friends, I just know them from my home town. I would love to be in that sorority, but I'm pretty much average. Average looks, good grades, decent involvement in things. I honestly figured that they probably wouldn't want me as much as someone else

By: wait
by: Houses May 28, 2015 3:26:28 PM

WANT chapter legacies. It's a huge disappointment when a chapter legacy choses a different house. It makes her legacy house look bad. So if a XO ole miss legacy choses DDD over XO, it makes XO look very bad. Like they didn't try to impress the girl or like they had a bad rush or like the family member didn't help the girl connect to her legacy house.

By: Houses
by: Probably. May 28, 2015 3:29:57 PM

You will probably get a bid, but are you sure you want one?

Make sure you fit in with the other girls before you accept any bid or you might end up regretting your decision to join a sorority just because it is considered popular.

By: Probably.
by: not op May 28, 2015 3:44:40 PM

I've thought about that. It's a very good thing that legacies need to think about before they make that decision. I feel like I would love it, but then sometimes I wonder if I would feel like I wasn't as good as all of them. I think I have a negative picture of myself and I think that everyone doesn't like me when that's not how it actually is. I'll just have to wait for rush and see if I connect with them and feel at home or not! But I could really see myself in DG or Phi Mu and would be happy in either of those (I would be happy in any house really). I know someone who didn't go her legacy house but I think she is having way better experience in her house than she would have had in her legacy house. People always say that way too many legacy go through each year to take all of them, so I just always assumed that a lot of them were chapter legacies and that a lot of chapter legacies got dropped. Are there really not that many chapter legacies that go through each year?

By: not op
by: Rushing HomeMay 28, 2015 7:17:44 PM

I just added a huge post of this to my page:
www.rushinghomeatolemiss.wordpress.com
I would repost it, but it's too big for Greek Rank to post.

By: Rushing Home
by: not opMay 28, 2015 7:23:52 PM

Thank you so much. That really helps me and I will really take all of that to heart! I want to end up where is best for me and where I can grow from my chapter and where they can grow from me. I can't even explain how much I look forward to making friends that I will have for life and that will be there for me all throughout college and after college. I'm the type of person who is shy at first (so I have trouble meeting people and making friends at first) but once I know people and I am friends with them, I am completely normal and very outgoing! I just hate that I am shy until I really know people because it makes it hard to make friends. And I've been worried about being shy when I'm meeting actives before rush or during rush when it will hurt me to be that way! I am trying to overcome it. Thank you for your advice!

by: not opMay 28, 2015 7:24:37 PM

and @Rushing Home I'll go read it right now! I read your other posts yesterday.

#3  by: confused   

If your mom is a legacy of a sorority from a different school, but your grandmother/aunts/cousins are chapter legacies is that sorority going to rush you harder than other pnm's?

By: confused
by: confusedMay 28, 2015 5:20:07 PM

^^or house legacies

By: confused
by: maybeMay 28, 2015 5:20:38 PM

we don't know about any sororities other than our own. In my sorority it would depend on many factors. Too many factors to discuss here.

By: maybe
#4  by: Rushing Home   

I just added a huge post of this to my page:
www.rushinghomeatolemiss.wordpress.com
I would repost it, but it's too big for Greek Rank to post.

by: Gosh May 28, 2015 7:34:00 PM

Don't you ever go away! F'ing self promoting rude girl! We don't need daily reminders about how much better your advice is than the rest of ours!

By: Gosh
by: Rushing HomeMay 28, 2015 7:47:29 PM

I put on there that I would repost it, but Greek Rank has a character limit. Mine isn't advice. It just outlines legacy rules. I was not implying that anything of mine was better than yours. I think it's very rude of you to take that approach towards me.

by: So true. May 28, 2015 7:55:04 PM

I agree with @gosh.

It's very rude of you to be self promoting your own blog on here!

It really makes no sense! Obviously nobody ever taught you manners.

By: So true.
#5  by: Rushing Home   

I will say this again, I am NOT self promoting. I was directing the OP to my page because Greek Rank wouldn't let me post my response on here. You are more than welcome to visit the page and comment on the post if any information I posted is wrong or is something you don't agree with. I am not shutting out other people from adding to my post. I also have an email specifically for comments and suggestions

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.