facebook

halp

by: outastate

I'm from Chicago and don't know anyonnee at Ole Miss, I'm doing my best to get recs and only have 1 for each sorority. I'm trying to find more but its not looking too good. Will not knowing any of the active memembers and only having 1 rec hurt my chances of getting a bid? I'm not too nervous about the rush process, I just don't want chapters to drop me before they get to know me..

Posted By: outastate
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: what   

Why are you going from Chicago to Mississippi? It's the worst state in the country

By: what
#2  by: Tippy   

Have you contacted the local Alumnae clubs for that second rec? There are plenty of Alumnae Panhellenics in Chicago, there are lots of women who can write recs in that area. Many women a big greek schools (Indiana, Miami of Ohio, Wisconsin, Illinois) live in Chicago. You should be either contacting Alumnae Panhellenics in the area, or the alumnae clubs for each chapter at Ole Miss. You have very little time, so ask graciously, and be very nice to them if they offer to help. Most women would have asked in April or May, not late July!

By: Tippy
#3  by: Too late   

I'm afraid you will have problems. There are three or four houses that you maybe will have a shot at. But, several others that you might already be on their drop list. Don't forget we start looking at girls and identifying girls in the spring time.

Rush is not ways fair! Neither is life.

Southern girls have honestly been preparing for rush since the beginning of their senior year, if not earlier. Their recs have been lined up since January and February. Their resumes have been polished and their pictures have been done for months. More than a few have visited the campus already, stayed in the dorms, attended fraternity parties, and met tons of actives. Girls have attended summer camps and cheer camps and dance camps for years and already have close relationships with actives.

I'm afraid you are at a huge disadvantage this late in the game. You will need to go into rush ready to accept ANY bid you receive and know that you more than likely will be cut early by at least half the houses.

By: Too late
by: hmJul 28, 2014 12:39:51 PM

False. My sorority doesn't do it this way and that's why we get so many hot girls who didn't have recs early in the game.

By: hm
by: ^^^Jul 28, 2014 3:36:37 PM

Pi phi, aopi, theta, and ADPi are your best bets. Above poster must be in one of those four.

Even Kappa has already narrowed down their lists.

Top six will not be impossible, just a huge uphill battle if you don't already know several girls willing to go to bat for you!

By: ^^^
#4  by: well   

Don't even bother trying for DG, KD or DDD. They are super rooted in their "traditional" rush process, so at this point you are a lost cause. You can still get a good house like XO or KKG!

By: well
by: MMMJul 28, 2014 1:02:07 PM

Doubtful that XO would give someone from Chicago a bid if they really don't know her well... it isn't impossible, but Chi Omega, if any sorority, has a reputation for doing extensive backgrounds on their PNMs.... there is a reason that there is a designated alum in every state & city who signs off on all their recs.... she is in charge of comparing all PNMs coming out of that area. It is a little creepy, but it is very efficient and there is a reason they are so good on virtually all campuses. KKG might be a better shot, but keep your mind open, and focus on those houses that don't always have 100% return rates.

By: MMM
#5  by: Honesty   

I don't mean this in any way against you personally, because you could be a stellar person and great addition to any sorority otherwise, but this late coming from Illinois with only 1 rec, you'll almost certainly be dropped by XO, KD, DDD, and DG after first or second rounds. DON'T let that discourage you! Remember those houses are looking for where you came from and who you know and there are other sororities more concerned with you as a person (Not saying those 4 aren't, but they take very few "unknown" prior to rush girls).

By: Honesty
#6  by: True   

Honesty is right... there are plenty of chapters that welcome people without numerous in-house connections, they recognizd that just because you don't know tons of people, you could still be a great and beautiful member. There is nothing wrong with the way XO KD, DDD & DG do their selection, but yes, your odds of getting a spot in those chapters without having several people on the inside cheering for you is very, very slim. Unless you made Rebelettes this summer or you are a triple-legacy, or have parents who have made large donations to the university, you probably aren't on their radar.

If you focus on the chapters that clearly show strong interest in you, and make them the ones you are excited about, you will feel far less disappointment at the end of the week.

By: True

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.