facebook

why???

by: Frustrated

Why can't we be one, whole greek community at IU? Something I really dislike about greek life, especially at IU, is how important it is to fraternities how high their ranked and that they only pair with what they think as "good" "top tier" sororities because they want to look good or move up in their rankings. Both housed and unhoused fraternities treat unhoused sororities terribly and act like we are too lowly to pair with anyone. We have gotten dropped so many times for a pair the night before or fraternity socials don't even respond to our social and it's really hurtful and frustrating. Why can't we be more open and less exclusive? A lot of girls in unhoused sororities are in them because they didn't want to live in a house with a bunch of girls either because they want an apartment or don't want to pay the huge cost of being in a housed sorority. Most of us are completely normal; not weird and unattractive like guys think. So can we please be one greek community and stop this? We like pairing with fraternities as much as any housed sorority but we don't even get the chance to because we're unhoused and apparently this makes fraternities think they're too good for us.

Posted By: Frustrated
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: good point   

The ironic part is that the "top tier" chapters schedule socials with some of those fraternities but then treat them like crap. But the fraternities are too caught up in appearances to realized they are getting jerked around. We make our new members go and they only have to stay for so long. It gives the new members some place to drink for free. Most of the girls in my pledge class wouldn't be caught dead in those fraternities. They are too dumb to realize they are being used big time. They would be better off to have events with sororities that actually like them and want to get to know them. Yea, sounds harsh but it's the truth.

By: good point
by: ^ so trueApr 17, 2015 11:51:26 PM

We paired with Phi Psi and they came over, drank our liquor and talked to each other about what house they were going next right in front of us. Many cute girls, but no fun to party with. Some in my chapter are too stupid to see it, especially our social.

By: ^ so true
by: Um...Apr 18, 2015 4:09:15 AM

Yeah I think you're confused...

By: Um...
by: OPApr 18, 2015 10:43:34 AM

Seriously, I was confused, lmao. Don't drink and post. Meant Pi Phi. I shouldn't have singled them out, because they are not the only ones who do this.

By: OP
#2  by: True this   

This sounds very shallow, immature, and middle school like. I am so sad to know that this kind of juvenile behavior is occurring. Cmon people. Weren't we all excited to leave jr high?

By: True this
#3  by: True   

I believe IU had the meanest Greek system in the country by far.

By: True
by: @TrueApr 19, 2015 12:27:08 AM

Probably due to the extreme competitiveness (especially sororities) in getting in. Makes people feel that they are "better" than others. I've literally seen girls' attitudes and personalities change overnight once they get their bids. Frats aren't much better, because they are the ones that control the pairs and they're only worried about appearances, so they won't venture from their traditional pairs to even try to get to know other groups. Every now and again, one will, but will cancel at the last moment. Chicken $hits forget they are dealing with actual women with real feelings.

By: @True
by: ^^^Apr 26, 2015 7:49:08 PM

Because we are better. The crybabies need to shut their pie holes. They just look dumb.

By: ^^^
#4  by: Not just unhoused   

My sorority has a house and frats cancel last minute on us too for reasons like "something came up." Too many frats are run by immature boys.

By: Not just unhoused
#5  by: consider this   

Sounds like it's time for Panhel to get together and set up some ground rules. They (the sororities) really have all the power they don't realize it. If they decided to not pair for a set period of time, to show the fraternities who's boss, the fraternities would be screwed. They need girls there to have a party and to attract guys to pledge. If no sorority women showed up for an entire weekend, the fraternities would take notice. Then the sororities should lay down the rules. For example, if you cancel on a pair then your event is cancelled point blank. Pairs have to be registered with Panhel no later than Wednesday and then everyone knows who is where. Transparency is the key there. No "top" tier house is going to want everyone to know they are at certain fraternities, so these fraternities will have to expand their social circle. Accountability is the second piece of the puzzle. Sorority women unite. You really do have the upper hand.

By: consider this
by: wake upApr 19, 2015 1:42:03 PM

Your forgetting that some girls want to party just as bad as the frat guys do. No top tier sorority would ever voluntarily not show up to frats in order to "show them who's boss". Yes guys care about who they are paired with, but at the same time, so do the girls.

By: wake up
by: .May 16, 2015 8:55:38 PM

Then we'll just throw an open party every now and then...

By: .
#6  by: tbh   

Honestly, I don't get why people like pairing with the same few groups so consistently. Yeah, I have my favorite fraternities to visit and know a lot of the guys really well, but I'm also at the point where I'd love to expand and get to know more new people as well.

By: tbh
#7  by: My thoughts   

This is the best post I have seen on this site in awhile. So true. We continue to give GLOs that consistently break rules and/or show a disregard for others a free pass because they are "hot" or "dope." Give me a break. You go on probo or you treat others poorly, you should not be held in high esteem. Sororities and fraternities who deal with groups like this should move on, no matter their social standing.

By: My thoughts
#8  by: -   

Please. Stop making up bs excuses to justify the reasons you're in a bottom tier. You're there because none of the housed sororities wanted you. That's simply a fact. Move on.

By: -
by: OMGApr 26, 2015 9:18:48 AM

Do you feel better now? Got your daily judgment out? Who did you know to get in your chapter? It's obviously not because of your personality.

By: OMG
by: Hi Mean GirlApr 26, 2015 10:25:01 AM

I've been wondering if the claws would come out. It is an unstated fact that you do not challenge the Greek Life social hierarchy at IU. You will be judged and put in your place. It's like high school all over again. Grow up! Be happy where you are and allow others joy where they are.

By: Hi Mean Girl
by: ABCDApr 26, 2015 11:43:02 AM

It's true though. No matter how much you girls without houses say it doesn't matter or you deliberately went that way because it was cheaper or whatever, the truth of the matter is you were crying when you got that bid. NO ONE wants to be one of you. Maybe you adjust once you're in there because you realize it's better than no sorority and you don't have any options. But this stupidity of coming on here and saying it was your choice makes you look desperate. I know you think that sounds mean, but the truth isn't pretty.

I am glad you have found peace or happiness or whatever in your homeless sorority, but don't for a minute think that you're anything like our selective chapters. Because you know you aren't, no matter how much you protest to the contrary.

By: ABCD
by: @ABCDApr 26, 2015 6:06:45 PM

You wear the veil of anonymity well. Remember Karma.

By: @ABCD
by: @KarmaApr 26, 2015 8:38:39 PM

Please stop it Karma. You are embarrassing all of us! My sisters and I are better than this. I feel sorry for you if yours are not. My guess is they are and it's just you.

By: @Karma
by: Agree^^^Apr 26, 2015 8:45:58 PM

1000 times over.

By: Agree^^^
#9  by: @ABCD2   

You protest too much. I think you are hiding something. I'm thinking your organization is considered low tier and it helps you to have people focus on the unhoused to take the focus off of you? I'll pray for you. HAHA not.

By: @ABCD2
by: ^^^Apr 26, 2015 6:12:20 PM

I agree, something is not right here. Sorority women in top tier don't give AF about this site. It's the middle and lower jockeying for position. Stop being a witch and have a drink or something.

By: ^^^
by: :)Apr 26, 2015 11:27:05 PM

Well you have a point since the unhoused sororities don't matter to anyone.

By: :)

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.