facebook

could these recs hurt me?

by: worried

this is going to sound bad but i got more than one letter for one of the houses that's basically on the bottom. i'm trying to keep an open mind, but i already know i won't want to be in such a small chapter and have to pay higher dues because of it. i'm worried that this group will think i'm interested though, and might rank me on a higher list than the sororities i'm really interested in, causing me to end up with a bid from them. could this mess up rush for me?

Posted By: worried
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: Be honest    

Just be polite but honest (especially if you are at this house on pref night). The other houses will have no idea who/how many recs you got. If you are there on pref, it's really important to politely but firmly say something along the lines of "the girls I've met here at _____ are really sweet, but I honestly feel like I'm a better fit at ________ because (fill in the blank with a reason, maybe another house is your legacy, maybe a good friend is a member there, maybe you really clicked with them , etc. this is actually a good thing for the chapter ( the one you don't want ) to know, that way they don't put you higher on their bid list at the expense of another girl they really want. Don't be rude about it though.

By: Be honest
by: PKTJul 31, 2014 1:36:08 PM

Don't count them out yet, you may end up liking that chapter and want to join. Recs can't hurt you, they can only help. If you end up not liking them, the advice above is good. Always be polite.

By: PKT
by: uhhhAug 4, 2014 6:33:59 PM

no, I would not take this approach. I would never in a million years tell a sorority that I wasn't that into them bc I liked another house better. Keep an open mind, be polite and don't insult anyone. Standard etiquette anywhere.

By: uhhh
by: ^Aug 4, 2014 11:14:28 PM

Yeah and we will all be bound to hear about it because we all know members in other houses and people talk. If you do this you might end up without invites to any houses.

By: ^
#2  by: Really   

then don't use the RECS

By: Really
#3  by: Also   

13 out of the 14 UPC chapters are pretty much the same size, and the one that is a little smaller does not have higher dues. PKT tends to have higher dues because of the background of the girls they typically bid, but it kind of varies outside of those three.

By: Also
by: noJul 31, 2014 9:38:55 PM

That's a lie, PKT's dues aren't any higher, quite spreading rumors. Due's aren't based on a girl's background. They are based on the cost of the house and on their national's set dues (which are all pretty much the same). If anything, the less girls in a housed chapter, the more expensive the dues will be because there are less girls to pay for the house.

By: no
by: @alsoJul 31, 2014 11:31:37 PM

Are you even in a Texas sorority? This is so incorrect.

By: @also
#4  by: You   

sound like a female dog. You'll fit right in with any sorority.

By: You
#5  by: G   

As long as the other houses have you high on their invite list then you don't have to worry about houses you rank lower. BUT if those other houses don't have you high enough, you will get invited back to houses you're not so enthusiastic about. You really need to keep an open mind to all houses. You are not too good for anyone.

By: G

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.