facebook

girls who don't get a bid

by: Hmm

I know a lot of girls who rush end up not being in a sorority. Is this more due to being cut by the Big 6 and dropping themselves out rather than accepting a "lesser" bid or are a few hundred girls actually dropped by every single house? And, if so, is it because of
not getting recommendations, or just because of not having connections in the houses?

Posted By: Hmm
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: It's a bit of both   

some also end up cutting all of the lower houses early on and then get dropped by everyone. Some girls don't get any bid, and some girls are too pretentious to "condescend" for a bid they think is below them.

By: It's a bit of both
by: Good to knowFeb 27, 2014 10:00:50 AM

Thanks! I'm going to go through rush and wanted to know since I don't care about status; I just want a strong sisterhood.

By: Good to know
by: It's a bit of Feb 27, 2014 6:45:08 PM

You'll be golden then. You have a good attitude.

By: It's a bit of
#2  by: Betsy   

1. Make sure you get your recs in.

2. If you don't have connections, you're not getting a Pi Phi bid, so feel free to blow them off. Don't worry making a good impression at their silly first round dance party, either. They're just hazing the PNMs. Smile, stand around, ask for a seat, ask to use the bathroom, whatever. It just doesn't matter what you do there, if you're not their list then you're not on their list.

By: Betsy
by: :)Apr 11, 2014 4:17:16 PM

Ah let the 2014 recruitment jealous hating of the top house begin!

By: :)
by: UhApr 14, 2014 6:47:38 PM

But acting rude is never classy and if you were on their list and you're rude, you'll get cut.

By: Uh
by: IfApr 15, 2014 8:18:53 PM

Pi Phi insists on keeping their mean-girl schtick despite being fined by Panhellenic, then PNMs should be free to skip them during open house without penalty. Fair is fair.

Oh, and incidentally, nobody is jealous of you stuck-up tw@ts. ;)

By: If
by: ^Apr 15, 2014 8:48:42 PM

Right. That's why you spend so much time focused on them. I'm not a Pi Phi and I think you look ridiculous.

By: ^
by: ^Apr 23, 2014 6:07:19 PM

Person above is obviously bitter. She has no idea how Pi Phi selects since she isn't one. PNMs, don't listen to her. She just wants to crater your chances there and your self esteem while feeling like she's building her and her obviously inferior house up.

Stay classy. People talk and everyone knows each other. If you're rude at one house we will all hear about it.

#3  by: Pi Phi?   

Thought they were not permitted to do that dance party crap any more? Heard that Panhellenic put a stop to it last year. If not, shame on them. No class. Not the way a "top house" behaves. At all.

By: Pi Phi?
by: They didApr 15, 2014 10:34:06 AM

they just took the fine. Kinda like how SAE and Fiji qre half ACC kids.

By: They did
#4  by: If you aren't    

connected drop PKT off the bat. Don't waste your time and end up losing a house you might have wanted.

By: If you aren't
by: ^Apr 15, 2014 9:00:04 PM

Now this is good advice. So many PNMs get focused on trying to attain the unattainable that they drop lower houses they have a chance with and would fit in well with after open house round. Then those Big Six houses drop them after philanthropy and they're left with very few choices by skit round. THAT'S how PNMs end up getting completely cut before preference.

Be honest with yourself from the beginning. If you don't have a lot of very strong preexisting connections with the top houses, you really don't have a chance with them. Be realistic. I know that sounds harsh, but recruitment is like the Hunger Games.

by: BetsyApr 23, 2014 12:16:55 PM

If you're going to honest with yourself you need to know that a handful of houses at UT are for the very, very rich.

How do you know that you might be on their bid list? I'll repeat what I said about Pi Phi:

Here are some questions to ask yourself. Did you go to the right school? Did any girl from your high school get into PKT at UT? Does your daddy make a bajillion dollars? Do you live in the right zip code? Are you uber, uber special as a PNM? ("I was Miss Texas and I won the Westinghouse Science Fair and I am ranked #5 in the world for figure skating, y'all!") Are you an in-house legacy? Do you know more than 50% of the chapter personally? Did you go to the right summer camp and have sisters from PKT as your counselor since you were a fetus?

No? Then forget it. Just be polite and drop PKT as quick as you can. You don't have the connections to get in there.

There are a ton of other houses at UT that you CAN get into and which will provide you with a wonderful experience. Being in any sorority at UT is pretty awesome. Focus on the houses that you can get into.

By: Betsy
by: ^Apr 23, 2014 6:09:57 PM

PNMs, ignore this Betsy person. She doesn't know what she's talking about (and it sure is obvious that the reason she didn't get a bid is because of her personality disorder!)

#5  by: Wow!   

Thanks for the good advice. Sad that anyone would call PKT top houses. Thinking your top and really being top is two different things.

By: Wow!
by: ^Apr 23, 2014 6:11:18 PM

Oh honey, you have no idea what you're talking about.

#6  by: senior   

Look, Betsy makes some good points. Piphi, Kappa and Theta are great groups but what she said is true. It's not that they don't like YOU, it's that so many girls want them and they have to make cuts. They have tons of legacies ands friends going through that they'll take first. All the sororities ar UT are strong, be happy if you get a bid anywhere. Rush is a gamble, don't waste your early cuts on PKT and end up getting dropped completely.

By: senior

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.