facebook

who are the "core four"?

by: Greek Geek

How do they compare to the "Big Six"? Could some of these sororities or others change ranks?

Posted By: Greek Geek
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 4
#1  by: meh   

big 6 are traditionally the top tier sororities and core 4 are traditionally the middle tier

By: meh
#2  by: yes   

things can always change, but it would or is taking awhile

By: yes
#3  by: truth   

The reality is the difference between them are more about where they come from, more than who they are. All the women in the top 10 houses are smart, beautiful and talented. The Big 6 girls will be from either private or very prestigious public schools (think old money) and the Core 4 girls will be from high achieving public schools, some private and their parents are more "new money" types. But guess what, old or new money, they both pay the dues and the like I said earlier, the quality of girl is similar.

By: truth
#4  by: actually   

All of the top 10 have girls from high achieving public schools and private schools but Core 4 also has suburban schools which is the major difference. All of the houses are really strong but I think of the middle tier ones as a little more down to earth.

By: actually
by: @actuallySep 22, 2013 6:42:01 PM

ChiO, Zeta, and Tri Delt take tons of girls from the suburbs.

By: @actually
#5  by: answer   

big 6-PiPhi, KKG, Theta, XO, DDD, ZTA
core 4- DG, AXO, ADPi, APhi

By: answer
by: TriviaJun 3, 2013 11:16:43 PM

Half of the reason the big six is the big six is the way they appeared at UT in the first place. Pi Phi was first and Chi O or Theta last I think. Not completely sure about the sequence. UT just has a lot of history.

By: Trivia
by: TruthJun 5, 2013 7:14:38 PM

Replace ADPi with KD and you hit the hammer on the head there for the top 10

Also, Big 6 is a misnomer. It represents the six UT sororities that survived the Great Depression. They have the longest tradition on campus thus are the top 6 houses.

The only thing dividing the 10 though, is zip code of the PNMs. Old money gets big 6 traditionally while core 4 get new money.

By: Truth
by: umJun 5, 2013 10:06:28 PM

ADPi was on campus before ZTA and survived the great depression so I don't think that's where the name comes from. KD was on campus, closed and came back and although not a top 10, is still a good sorority here.

By: um
by: trivia answerJun 5, 2013 10:19:07 PM

The order they appeared at UT:
1902-KKG, PiPhi
1904-KAT, XO
1905-ADPi
1906-ZTA
1912-DDD
1920-APhi
1921-KD (closed and opened again in the 80's)
1924-AXO
1925-AEPhi
1929-AXD (closed and opened again in the 60's)
1939-DG, SDT

Phi Mu, Gamma Phi, AGD, DZ, Phi Sig, DPhiE and AOPi were also at UT and closed.

By: trivia answer
#6  by: answer   

Big 6:
PiPhi, KKG, Theta, XO, DDD, ZTA
Core 4:
DG, AXO, APhi, ADPi
the rest but still good:
KD, AZD, AEPhi, SDT

By: answer
#7  by: truth   

The majority of chapters at UT are strong. The biggest made at UT is that some chapters are "better" than others. Sorority choice is personal, and what is great for Suzy Q may not be for Suzy X. If you go in thinking you have to a Top 6, Top 8 or Top 10 chapter, you could find yourself very disappointed. EVERY chapter at UT has something to offer. You are better off going through the process and see where you land. I can't say I have ever met someone who wishes they were a GDI over where they ended up even if it was not their first choice.

By: truth
#8  by: AlwaysClassy   

Someone above is very very wrong. Core 4 is DG, KD, APhi, and AXO. You 'date' a big 6 but marry a core 4 is what the usual thing is. I'm not even in one of those, but that's what the stereotype is. I know it, even though I'm a big 6.

By: AlwaysClassy
#9  by: Wrong   

Honestly that is dead ... There are 10 really strong houses at UT. Do not think for one minute axo or a phi aren't top tier houses at UT. They have very certain criteria for who they pledge just like all houses. If you think that getting a bid from them is easy you would be mistaken. This leads to very unhappy girls when this is the perception .

By: Wrong
#10  by: The   

fact that girls aren't selected mainly on their attractiveness makes all the chapters look somewhat similar and harder to distinguish. You can tell a lot easier at other schools which sororities are most desirable by just looking at their bid day pictures.

By: The
by: YES!Sep 23, 2013 7:24:34 PM

Totally agree! I looked at each chapters bid day pics to kind of test this theory out. I could tell a little difference at the lower chapter. For the most part, it is quite true.

By: YES!

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.