facebook

why can't we add more sororities?

by: UTTTT

Seems like more houses would give more girls options?

Based on my research, these sororities all had UT chapters at one point. Seems like we could bring them back?
Phi Mu, Delta Phi Epsilon, AOPi, Delta Zeta, Phi Sigma Sigma, Gamma Phi Beta, Alpha Gamma Delta

Posted By: UTTTT
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: Flip   

Lack of housing is a definite problem.

By: Flip
by: HiNov 12, 2016 9:34:42 PM

The larger nationals could figure it out (housing). UT Panhellenic sororites don't seem to be open to expanding.

By: Hi
by: FlipperNov 13, 2016 8:18:52 AM

UT has to vote to open for expansion then sororities that are interested in coming apply and one is eventually chosen. Housing is a huge issue. The cost isn't the only issue, finding a property to buy and develop is an even bigger issue. Available property is scarce and they would be competing with all the developers who want to build apartments and dorms to buy it. God knows a sorority won't dare to come on without a house, because y'all will treat them like SDT. The toxic environment the sororities have created at UT is another huge issue. Who wants to deal with that?

By: Flipper
by: utDec 8, 2016 7:15:48 PM

UT's biggest setback. #giveUTaROW

By: ut
#2  by: .   

I tried contacting Phi Mu to see if we can re open it at UT because I really wanted to be in it but they said UT won't be letting any new sororities re charter at UT anytime soon 😭

By: .
by: FlipperNov 13, 2016 8:20:46 AM

That's not how things work.

Also, Phi Mu wouldn't be in a good position to come here anyway.

By: Flipper
by: PanNov 16, 2016 9:59:41 PM

Wondering why Phi Mu did not present at Texas State again. More Texas chapters are needed for their rep to improve. Not strong in Texas yet.

By: Pan
#3  by: Phi Mu   

I think Phi Mu wants TCU to stabilize before any more expansion in Texas.

By: Phi Mu
by: TtuNov 25, 2016 10:33:16 PM

Phi mu is chartering at Tech fall 17

By: Ttu
#4  by: Panhellenic future   

It does seem time to add some new sororites. Mix things up a bit.

By: Panhellenic future
#5  by: Me   

Won't happen. Panhellenic won't open for expansion under the current conditions:

1. Pledge classes are not that big. Usually expansion happens when the classes become too large to manage. UT would need to be consistently in the 90-100 range.

2. Too many pnms drop out because they don't like the houses they have left. Adding more houses- will start at the bottom of the "pecking" order and have to work their way up, while the mid-tier sh$t all over them to protect their mid-tier status- won't change anyhing except make it even harder for the new house to gain traction.

Why can we expect the sororities to be excited about and promote a new house when they treat DG, AZD, SDT, KD like crap?? Campuses with successful expansion like Bama support and promote ALL houses on campus and the pledge class sizes are as big at the houses with a lot of tradition as they are at the new houses.

3. $$$ Expansion is expensive and chapters aren't going to sign on unless they can be certain a UT chapter would prosper- especially considering most of the chapters with potential have already closed at Texas. Housing costs are incredibly expensive in West Campus and if a chapter couldn't secure good housing, it would never be competitive. I don't think any former chapters still own their old houses despite whatever rumors are floating around/

By: Me
by: uhhh really?Dec 4, 2016 10:22:14 PM

in what real,concrete ways are those houses mentioned above (dg, kd, azd, sdt) "treated like crap"?? Because of comments here on greekrank? cuz there are rude comments on greekrank for all schools. Truth is, a pecking order exists at all campuses, too..that's not unique to UT. The deal breakers for a new chapter at UT is definetly the cost of housing (the biggest deal) and the PC size is not there....that;s it.

By: uhhh really?
by: ^Dec 6, 2016 2:14:13 PM

Don't know about DG, KD, or AZD, but when SDT was doing formal recruitment, PNMs would be mean to them on purpose so they would get cut. There was even a thread here on things to do to guarantee that they would drop you.

By: ^
by: wutDec 6, 2016 9:04:30 PM

that's SO rude.

By: wut
by: @uhh really...Dec 7, 2016 5:32:15 PM

When 30% of PNM's drop out during the week because they've been dropped by Big 6, that's an obvious sign that the other houses have been so beaten down, reputation-wise, that girls would rather not be Greek at all than be in half the houses here. Where did they get the impression that the rest of the houses are bad- actives and alumnae. It's sad.

By: @uhh really...
by: wtfDec 7, 2016 9:48:34 PM

^^^^This is not totally true.
I'm upper mid tier and we rush/swap girls with big 6 all day long. We hang w/ big 6 girls all day long. Big 6 and mid tiers live in the same dorms and are froomies. Big 6 and mid tiers hang w/ mid tier frats. My chapter mixes w/ sae, the other top tiers and the mid tiers (not fiji but I'm fine w/ that!).
Their is some truth that the lower sorority tiers are ostrasized: Cowboys and Spurs only name big six/mid tiers as sweethearts and the top frats don't mix with lower tiers at all.
So, the biggest division for UT sorority life is at the lower tier chapters and then flat out rudeness to SDT. Yea, I'm fine w/ tiers and I'm thrilled where I am but there is NO need to be mean or rude to ANYONE.

By: wtf
by: guess whatDec 8, 2016 7:09:13 PM

the "low" tiers are great. Look at how pretty Bottom AZD is. The are so cute this year. Just pointing out they are all pretty good.

By: guess what
by: @wtfDec 10, 2016 5:39:09 PM

Yeah, I was talking about ADPi/KD/AZD, not all of the non-Big 6. No idea where DG falls in that mix.

By: @wtf
#6  by: Me   

If you want to get more chapters on campus, start by talking up EVERY chapter we currently have. It starts with US.

- If your younger friends or relatives are thinking about dropping out of rush next year because they were dropped from all Big 6, encourage them to finish the week because all of our houses are strong.

- If you're in the position to do so within your chapter, plan a social with a sorority that's outside your "tier" next semester. Make friends in all houses. Plan a joint date party. Participate in everyone's philanthropies. Etc.

- Have something nice to say about every chapter. Stop gossip when someone says "XYZ's new members are going to put them firmly in bottom tier" or whatever. I truly mean every chapter. Girls should be able to compliment ALL chapters if someone from home asks about the Texas chapters or anytime it comes up in conversation.

#7  by: Me   

Every house is known for something positive!

Most social- APhi, Theta, AEPhi
Strong academics - DG, KD, AEPhi
Campus leadership - KD, Pi Phi, AXO
Philanthropy focus- AXO, Tri Delt, ZTA, SDT
Strong sisterhood - AZD, XO
Most diverse- APhi, SDT, Kappa
Most campus history/ tradition - Kappa, Pi Phi, XO, Theta
Best House -the actual house- Tri Delt, ZTA, ADPi, DG (pool!)

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.