facebook

greek life

by: Incoming Freshman

I'm an incoming Freshman and I am wondering how big the Greek life is here? Is it competitive? Is it fun?

Posted By: Incoming Freshman
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: perspective   

Greek life at AU is what you make of it. You could be unaffiliated with Greek life and still have an awesome AU experience and never think about it or be infiltrated with it and have it consume your social life. The nice think about Greek life at AU is that you can have both: one foot in Greek life and one foot out so you can have a split social life. A lot of Greeks do this.

More specifically, Greek life isn't too competitive. You'll find that AU is somewhat split: there are the rich/popular organizations that hang out with each other and then the middle class/not as popular organizations that hang out. (That doesn't mean that either of these groups are bad/inferior, its just that some students don't have the money to go clubbing every weekend or the desire to stay in.) People don't try to "compete" with each other in that sense. Some organizations will try to say they're better than others, but its all speculation and a matter of perspective.

It is most definitely fun. You will have a good time regardless where you end up. You'll find that sometimes the Greek community as a whole is awesome and you'll make friends from that common interest alone. Maybe those friends will be the best friends you've ever had. That being said, there isn't really any 'rival' organizations here (excluding historical ones like Beta Theta Pi and Sigma Chi, for example) and everyone has at least one friend in a different organization.

By: perspective
by: mm?Jul 3, 2015 12:18:13 PM

Beta.. historical..? Their basically a new born calf

By: mm?
by: perspectiveJul 5, 2015 9:28:44 AM

Haha yeah, it's a national rivalry. Google it, it's actually kind of interesting.

By: perspective
#2  by: @mm?   

i think they mean a national rivalry

By: @mm?

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.