facebook

alpha xi

by: Shocked

Shocked at the choice of Alpha Xi over Phi Mu Or DZ.. Just don't see it

Posted By: Shocked
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: Surprised II   

I was too, especially with the south/southwest presence of the other 2. I wonder if it's because Phi Mu and DZ both have tried and failed here before, thus facilitating Pan to want to go into a new, fresh direction?

By: Surprised II
by: WellJan 22, 2015 11:31:41 PM

AZD has more of a presence in this state than DZ or Phi Mu. DZ isn't a big Southern sorority in general either.

By: Well
#2  by: wow   

Y'all are unbelievable. They aren't even on campus yet and you're already trying to tear them down? Real nice Panhellenic spirit. Tech is desperately in need of a new group, so, you should want them to succeed.

Further, obviously the expansion committee saw something in them, or they wouldn't have been chosen. Alpha Xi Delta has more chapters in Texas than Phi Mu, and at more similar schools, where Phi Mu's chapters are at University of Houston, Houston Baptist, Tarleton State and Texas - San Antonio.

And Phi Mu was chosen to colonize next, between Fall 2017-Fall 2019.

Evidently DZ was not a good fit at this time.

By: wow
by: Desperate?Nov 10, 2014 9:14:19 PM

I don't think Tech is "desperate" for a new chapter. Until everyone is making quota w/o having to cob and girls are not finding a home, even when maximizing options, then were def. not desperate.

That having been said we are surely strong enough to handle a new chapter, with the evidence of successful cob for those that barely made or were under quota, so best wishes to AZD.

By: Desperate?
by: wellNov 10, 2014 10:02:35 PM

It's literally not possible, for a girl to maximize her options (write down every house she is invited to pref for on her MRABA) and not get a bid. If you are invited to 2 out of a possible 2 pref parties and write both ABC and XYZ down on your pref card, you WILL receive a bid to one of those groups. If you are only invited to 1 pref party and write that house down, you WILL receive a bid to that house. It's how RFM (release figure management) works. Girls who drop out or who don't write down all the houses on their pref card is why girls go bidless.

There is only 1 exception to this rule, and that's at Indiana, who uses an antiquated recruitment style called bed rush.

Just FYI

By: well
by: Desperate?Nov 11, 2014 8:49:47 AM

Wasn't talking about the girls that make it to pref., rfm and bid allocation are seperate issues to the fact that Tech is "desperate" for a new chapter.

Right now DG/KD barely made quota and ADPI was under. I noticed that the first 2 had some open events and ADPI had several, in order to maintain or get to max. Most girls who dropped this year, the largest we've had, was because they didn't get their houses of choice for pref. A campus is desperate for a new house when a large number of girls are let go before pref. night, many girls with excellent resumes that would have been top choices at smaller schools but didn't make it through for a variety of reasons not related to them personally, ie., not enough rec's, support, etc., We've seen this at Ole Miss. Ms. State and several competitive SEC schools, a def. sign of needing to open their circle, which many of those schools have, not something we've seen here at Tech.

Again can we handle another chapter? Sure. Is it something we're desperate for? No. Also, I totally agree, Indiana has the most ridiculous, hurtful, archaic rush system in the U.S., no way would I want to go to rush there unless I had so much in with current members that it would be a lock.

By: Desperate?
#3  by: ^   

seriously! There are a LOT of factors that go into an expansion decision...

Who has chapters at similar schools, who can support a new chapter, how the new chapter will mesh with current chapters, what programs the chapter offers, who has the resources to build a facility, who has the best expansion presentation, and on and on. Obviously it wasn't a decision made lightly.

By: ^
#4  by: really?   

AXD and Phi Mu were a perfect choice.

By: really?
#5  by: geez   

That's the point of the extension/presentation process - to learn about groups that are not on campus that students have not been exposed to & find out who, at this point in time, will add something to the community. Let's face it - all 26 NPC organizations offer the same things. Sisterhood, philanthropy, academic motivation, leadership opportunities. Some offer better name recognition in some places then others, some have more resources than others. All have extremely strong/top chapters & exceptional/notable members (the flip is also true - all have struggling/notorious members). All 3 of the organizations the presented would have been good fits for Tech - otherwise they would not have been invited to present (there were groups who submitted packets that were not invited, ostensibly b/c they were deemed not to be good fits at this point in time). All things being equal, the committee identified strengths of each group, and made their selection based on a handful of factors that set the chosen groups apart. But any of the 3 has what it takes to be successful at Tech. Congratulations to AXiD - here's hoping they will come on with a bang, and PM will do the same in a few years. Their success will make Tech stronger as a whole & provide more opportunities for women to grow as leaders...and with the projected growth at Tech over the next 6-10 years, it's possible we'll see even more chapters added after PM.

By: geez
by: ^Nov 12, 2014 11:18:09 AM

THIS! Thank you!

By: ^
#6  by: sororitytattoo   

Girls are dropping because of the ladies (and boys) who put up all the tent talk cr@p on here. Tech is losing a lot of fine ladies because y'all like to bash each other so much. Every chapter has great girls and we need to stop telling girls that Greek life sucks unless you're in PiPhi, Zeta or TriDelt.

Yes, there is room another chapter. Smaller pledge classes will create a better bond and if tent talk can be reduced, more girls can be retained without making unwieldy pledge classes.

By: sororitytattoo
#7  by: by the way    

Please stop saying bad things about other chapters- KD has not had a hard time making quota and infact they won deans cup and alot of other awards and you dont win awards like that with girls who are not commited with great ideas, grades beauty and strength of character so please stop the cruel and truthfully unfounded remarks. I cant speak for DG or ADphi but this year with so many girls going through rush many girls did not get a bid. I am so happy we got another sorority and I hope this fills in the gap so EVERYONE has a wonderful greek experience and enjoys their college life and isnt that what all of this is supposed to be about? PAN LOVE - GO RED RAIDERS!!!!

By: by the way
#8  by: AXiD    

probably has the best individual chapter (albeit lower tier) of the three in the state of Texas at UT, and they have a solid chapter at Texas State. DZ has a solid A&M chapter and a good Texas State chapter. Phi Mu is strong in the South, but they have no noteworthy Texas chapters. With that in mind, there really shouldn't be a strong preference toward any in particular, and since AXiD has put a lot of work into improving their flagship chapter in the state they're probably the best choice.

By: AXiD
#9  by: Can't Wait   

I am so happy both groups will be on campus.

By: Can't Wait

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.