facebook

best houses for someone unsure about greek life

by: undecided

i'm not concerned about being in a "top" house in the slightest... i genuinely just want to be involved on campus, and greek life seems to be the way to go at usc. after doing some research online, it seems that the houses that best suit by personality (i like to call myself an outgoing introvert... i am upbeat and bubbly and love going out and partying on occasion, but i do need my "me time" to recharge and I take school seriously!) are A D Pi, G Phi, and Tri Delt... also Theta, but I don't even want to worry about competition during rush, and it seems that house is very competitive. How competitive are the sororities I mentioned, and if possible, can you elaborate on the differences between these houses?

Thanks and fight on!

Posted By: undecided
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: First Off   

There is no weight or BMI requirements for the houses you listed.

By: First Off
#2  by: mem   

Anyway, first off, LOVE your attitude--you're going to make an awesome addition to whatever house you join and to the Panhellenic community as a whole.

As for ADPi, GPhi, and TriDelt, they're all amazing houses filled with great girls. Actually, all three of these were among my favorites when I rushed last year, and I'm so lucky to be a member of one of them! TriDelt is slightly more competitive than ADPi and GPhi (which are about equal in selectivity), but, as a whole, if you have some quality conversations, keep a positive attitude, and have that natural click with the girls you talk to, you shouldn't have any worries about being asked back to these houses.

The word most people use to describe ADPi is "sweet," and it's true! They're all incredibly friendly, and you see them everywhere around campus. They're always sitting together in class and at the campus center around lunchtime, and you can tell they have a tight-knit sisterhood! Their house is really pretty too--it used to be LA's French consulate!

By: mem
by: memJul 22, 2014 11:05:28 PM

(continued)

by: memJul 22, 2014 11:07:10 PM

Gamma Phi is a very upbeat and involved group of girls! They purposefully look for PNMs of all types to make up their pledge classes, but the common thread is that they're all genuinely happy girls, so it makes for a very diverse but cohesive group. You can always see them studying together on campus, out on the row, or in tons of USC's student organizations, and you can tell they all have a huge amount of pride in their sisterhood! In a cool connection to ADPi's house, GPhi's used to be home to the French consul and his family!

When I think of TriDelt, I think of active and cheerful girls! They're incredibly dedicated to philanthropy, and as a national organization they've pledged to raise 60 million dollars for St. Jude's Hospital over the next ten years! Their members have a lot of diverse interests, so you can find them in all sorts of clubs all over campus.

No matter where you join, the Panhellenic community is the place to be at USC for awesome networking opportunities, a vibrant social life, amazing academic resources, and a sisterhood that you'll cherish for life. Go Greek!!

#3  by: Great!   

Wow, it it so refreshing to read 1) actual, genuine advice here, as opposed to using a post to bash someone or some house and 2) such positivity. I totally agree with all "mem" said. And OP, you are to be commended for having a more mature outlook. You"ll be an asset to any house! Whatever house you may join, I encourage you to get involved in campus organizations, too. There are so many great ones to choose from. Good luck!

By: Great!
#4  by: Truth!   

If you want to meet a cute boy, you need to go top tier. If you don't care, try all the rest.

By: Truth!
by: No way!Jul 23, 2014 3:17:10 PM

If you are looking for cute boys don't come to USC. Most of them walk around with that horrible Cali slouch, bad posture position where they carry their head too far forward. Plenty of them look like their mother's still buy their clothes.

By: No way!
#5  by: atta girl   

I loved reading your post, i felt the exact same way going through rush. In fact on day 1, i cut all the "top houses" in my list because I knew i was looking for a more real connection.. i did end up in one of the three you mentioned and i absolutely love it. I was gable to have such strong conversations with the girls as i was going through rush and it has really continued as a member. while i strongly considered theta, they are definitely really competitive and to me try too hard (they always sing/dance during rush and just pay the fines even though its against the rules)... you can't go wrong with the three houses you mentioned, i have friends in all of them. just find the place that you feel most at home at and the girls you could imagine being your big/grandbigs :)

By: atta girl
#6  by: undecided   

wow! thank you all for such wonderful input! i am feeling less nervous about the idea of rushing now :)

By: undecided
#7  by: thrilled   

OP, I am absolutely in love with your attitude. I can't wait to meet you during rush!!! Fingers crossed there are more PNMs like you this year!

By: thrilled
#8  by: pnm   

I feel the exact same way, girl! Here's to hoping we end up in great houses with great girls (:

By: pnm
by: memJul 31, 2014 11:59:20 AM

And with that kind of attitude, you absolutely will. We're all so excited to meet you <3

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.