facebook

enlighten me!

by: Going Greek

Hi guys, so I'm gonna be a freshman engineering student in the fall and I want to join a sorority. I've been looking at Phi Sigma Rho (the engineering sorority) but I'm not sure. They seem to have a pretty big/nice house and a lot of sisters, however they're chronically ranked among the bottom tier. I'm not too concerned about rankings, however I was just wondering if there was a reason for their low status? Thanks, I can't wait to go greek in the fall!

Posted By: Going Greek
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: loveallsororitys   

Phi Sigma Rho is not involved in normal formal recruitment. It really is an engineering "society" that happens to have a house. They do not participate with other greek houses socially, etc...nor are they really considered part of the greek life here on campus. If you are looking for a true social sorority this is not it. If you are looking for girls in your major to live with, this might be the perfect place for you. Engineering at Purdue is tough. PS Their house is the old AOPi house. They obviously had a chance to purchase it and did so. Otherwise, I don't think they would have built a house on campus.

By: loveallsororitys
by: loveallsororitysJun 24, 2015 2:52:49 PM

ALSO.....many sororities on campus have sisters that are in engineering. You will just have to have your priorities in order as the social tug will be greater in these houses. As long as you have it together, you can enjoy the best of both worlds. My house has engineering majors. These sisters tend to room together and help each other with course curriculum, just like other sisters studying the same major :)

by: SisterJun 24, 2015 5:04:58 PM

loveallsororitys, I'm actually a sister at Phi Rho and I'd like to clear up a few misconceptions about our house.

1. We don't participate in formal because our bylaws state that we cannot accept non-engineering majors, thus formal recruitment would be a huge waste of everyone who isn't an engineering major's time. We have participated in formal in the past however we felt that the cons of formal outweighed the benefits--at least for our house.
2. We are officially a social sorority and a member of Panhell.
3. We do participate in socials with a plethora of different Greek houses. We have functions almost weekly (sometimes multiple times a week) and we always pair for football and Grand Prix. We're football buddies with Phi Delts this fall.
4. We had a smaller house (8-10 person) on Russell Street for years before we had the opportunity to expand into ΑΟΠ's 67 person house in the Acres. A bigger house was always a priority for us.

I don't want to come off as rude, I just wanted to present everyone with the facts. Joining Phi Rho is one of the best decisions that I have ever made and I'd hate for anyone to not consider us due to being misinformed.

Going Greek, we'd love to see you at our callouts this fall!

By: Sister
by: justanotherguyJun 30, 2015 12:49:17 PM

Rankings mean nothing. They're a group of girls who are either in the engineering field or previously in the engineering field, so they're definitely smart to say at least. However engineering at Purdue is notorious for its tough grading so it wouldn't surprise me that they're overall GPA would be lower than the other sororities out there. They're a fun house with really easy going sisters. I had the pleasure of meeting them over trade dinners and parties so they definitely are involved socially with other fraternities and sororities.

By: justanotherguy
#2  by: Go for it!   

i know quite a few girls in phi rho and they are all very down to earth and intelligent. Not your typical sorority, in looks or personality, but there are plenty of pretty girls that love to have fun and go out, but also care about academics.

By: Go for it!
#3  by: Maybe   

Does formal recruitment and Phi Sigma Rho callouts overlap each other? If so you can probably try to do both and see what works out.

By: Maybe
by: SisterJun 24, 2015 10:08:01 PM

No, informal recruitment is legally not allowed to take place until formal recruitment is over. We host our rush events starting the week directly following the end of formal rush.

By: Sister
#4  by: loveallsororitys   

Thanks for clearing that up Phi Rho. I am happy you have a plethora of activities to report. I suppose you are just not on most of the greek community's radar and that's why the original poster saw low comments on this sight. I just want any potential new members going through recruitment to know that many (if not all) sororities have engineering majors along with other tough curriculums. My house has engineering, bio chemistry, chemistry, biology, math, vet, etc. majors. We are smart and social :)

#5  by: EE   

Know one said it wasn't a good GPA and it was acknowledged they are all engineers. Breath deep......

By: EE
#6  by: Guest   

I'm in another panhel sorority and an engineering major. It is very difficult at first to balance social life and school when going greek, at least it was for me. But it's an essential skill to have. Employers like social people. Anyways, I ended up rooming with 2 other engineering majors for this upcoming school year in the house. In almost every house, there will be engineering majors (except for the extremely dumb ones... Which you'll figure out during rush haha) I say rush. See if you like any houses. And then if it's not your fit, rush phi rho!

By: Guest
#7  by: Guest   

I'm also in another panhel sorority and an engineering major. I loved my decision to go through formal recruitment because I wanted to surround myself with all sorts of people with different majors. It's all up to what you want! I would say definitely go through formal recruitment.

By: Guest
#8  by: purdue greek   

Hey Offended,
"This website is for Greek critiques not major shaming" excuse me, but I see a lot of Greek shaming and bashing of other houses on this site but you're more concerned about someone saying engineering is hard? OK.

By: purdue greek
#9  by: Chemical Engineer   

I'm not the original poster but honestly he/she has a point. This website IS for ranking Greek houses. There is no reason to bring majors up. You're getting upset about houses getting judged? Get off Greek rank. Gonna have to take Offended's side on this.

By: Chemical Engineer

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.