facebook

how sorority rush really works

by: Truth

Ok, I know a lot of people are on here because they're planning to Rush in the Fall and want to know about the houses and their reputations. Rush sucks, and most people wind up disappointed because they don't get their first, second or even third choice. Record numbers of girls drop out. But it can work if you go in with an open mind. KD, DDD, Chi-O and several others already have their bid lists based on feeder high schools. They won't admit this, but they distribute pictures with bios of the girls they want in advance so everyone can memorize their faces. If you don't know people in these houses, you don't stand a chance - even if you are a legacy. Trust me - EVERY house has something to offer and has amazing girls in it. Think about how hard it was to get into UNC.....the losers have already been weeded out. You'll have a great experience at UNC if you pledge as a Freshman and make life-long friends, as opposed to thinking that you're "too good" for a certain house. Why waste a year of sisterhood holding out for something you may never get?

Posted By: Truth
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: Fran   

Truer words have never been spoken. I'm an Alpha Chi Omega and love it!

By: Fran
#2  by: <3    

so true, great girls in every house

By: <3
#3  by: Suze   

OMG, this is so true! I was a legacy at KD and was flat out told by a sister (after the fact)that it was harder for me to get a bid as a legacy. I didn't go to Broughton High School, Westminster in Atlanta, or Myers Park in Charlotte. They double rushed me round one and two and dropped me like a hot potato. They have to double rush you so they can tell Nationals that enough girls talked to you and found you "not up to par." I'm so glad they dropped me - I'm a sister at another sorority now and couldn't be happier!!

By: Suze
by: greatApr 29, 2014 6:47:55 AM

^such a great comment on explaining the intricacies

By: great
#4  by: ???   

So which houses are open-minded and willing to take girls that don't know anyone? I'm from out of state and don't want to be disappointed.

By: ???
by: sistaApr 28, 2014 6:48:25 PM

Open Mind. 2 most important words for every PNM. Since you're OOS, I'd forget about KD, DDD, XO and probably ADPi. Take a serious look at AXO, Pi Phi and Phi Mu. If you're only left with Zeta, SSS and KKG, think about dropping out and trying again as a Sophomore.

By: sista
by: ZetaluvApr 28, 2014 6:54:26 PM

Take Zeta out of the "drop out group". No way they belong with KKG and SSS!!!!!

By: Zetaluv
by: uhApr 29, 2014 5:19:50 PM

why would you tell someone to have an open mind and then encourage them to drop if they have 3 out of 10 (30%) of sororities on campus? makes zero sense

By: uh
by: please!Apr 29, 2014 7:57:02 PM

don't just drop out! All the advice here has been spot on, except for the dropping out part!

By: please!
#5  by: Midge   

Isn't it considered dirty rushing to plan bid lists ahead of time?

By: Midge
by: yepApr 29, 2014 6:49:59 AM

it is considered dirty rushing, but the girls from the high schools said earlier already know enough members in those certain sororities that the members in the sororities will vouch with them simply to keep the tradition going regardless of personality

By: yep
by: ...Apr 29, 2014 8:40:53 AM

In other breaking news, fraternities don't always adhere to dry rush.

By: ...
by: ?Apr 29, 2014 8:06:10 PM

If sororities want to "keep the tradition going", I wonder what the point is in going to a large University? I'm coming to UNC to broaden my horizons and open myself up to new people. I definitely don't want to keep hanging out with the same people from my high school in my home town.

By: ?
#6  by: advice   

Seriously, keep an open mind. I dropped out my freshman year because I didn't get the sorority I wanted and rushed as a sophomore, only to get the exact same house that gave me a bid freshman year. And I absolutely love it. I missed a whole year of bonding with these girls because I thought I was too good for them. Don't drop out. Get to know the girls. No matter what the reputation is, I guarantee it isn't true of all (or even most) of the sisters. If you end up not fitting in, you can always drop before initiation and rush as a sophomore.

By: advice
#7  by: heels   

so true!

By: heels

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.