facebook

cost of sorority

by: freshgreek

I'm an incoming freshman girl that is very interested in rushing. There doesn't seem to be much information about the cost of sorority life at U of I, so I was wondering if anyone could give me any info about the average costs. Generally how much are dues per semester and on average how much does joining a sorority at Illinois cost the first year? Anything else I should know about the cost of joining a sorority?

Posted By: freshgreek
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 2
#1  by: 14   

I rushed 4 years ago and the amounts have probably changed since then, but I can give you an estimate of what my house was. Also, please know that each house varies in how much it costs (based on socials, what is included, fees from Nationals, etc.). Cost sheets will also be handed out during recruitment. From what I can remember, my initiation fee was like $1200. There are other random fees such as a badge fee (maybe $150) and then any clothes or things you decide to order.

Dues can really range per house. I would say dues, parlor fees, furnishing fees, etc. should run at least $150-200 per month. Be prepared to spend A LOT on incidentals such as barn dance, formal, semi-formal, and any other socials that may not be included in the dues.

You should also be aware that you will be expected to spend money at philanthropies for your own chapter and other chapters. You'll also be expected to buy different clothing packages and clothes for different events. Some chapters include this in dues, but most probably don't.

It's also expected that you'll buy senior gifts ($50) and gifts for your pledge daughter ($300 or so). There are also a number of incidentals that will come up that are NOT included in your dues.

The cost of living in the house is NOT included in your dues, but your dues typically go down if you're living in. The cost of living in varies per house, but is usually about $3500-$5500 per semester.

If you want to join a house, I would set aside at LEAST $1500-

By: 14
#2  by: 14   

Part 2

$2000 per semester. If you have parents to support you, this is probably more feasible. I'm not trying to dissuade you from joining a house, but you do need to know that it is very expensive. The sheets given to you during recruitment in NO way include all the costs. Just think about it before you really commit. Let me know if you have any questions, I'd be glad to help.

By: 14
#3  by: @OP   

It really depends on the house. Some houses are definitely more expensive than others. For instance, some houses don't require senior gifts. Also, you don't have to feel obligated to spend 300+ on gifts for your future little. In addition, barn dance/formal/etc... are included in the dues at some houses. I pay my own way with money from summer jobs and many other girls do the same. Like, the poster above me said, it's different for every house. Let me know if you have any more questions!

By: @OP
#4  by: $$$   

Also, some houses have a payment plan and might not care if you're a few days late on your payments. I pay about $500 a semester for dues BUT the first semester I joined, I dropped a good 1k on everything including some clothes, my badge, etc. Also keep in mind you don't have to drop major $$$ on all the clothes or a fancy badge. There will always be another clothing order and you can buy a nicer badge somewhere down the line. I pay for it all myself. My parents have NEVER dropped a dime on my sorority so it's doable, just SAVE SAVE SAVE!!!

By: $$$
#5  by: $$$   

I also want to rush in the fall. Is there any way that you can say which houses are really expensive, not so bad and reasonable as far as sororities go that is.

By: $$$
by: fyiJun 22, 2014 6:24:58 PM

Usually during the first invite the sorority will give you a sheet with their financial information and how much it will cost you as a new member and then how much it will cost each year and how much it costs to live in

By: fyi
by: Dolla dollaMay 25, 2017 10:33:02 PM

I believe theta is the most expensive on campus (huge house and great location) and AXO is the least expensive (gorgeous house but far location). I believe Urbana houses are generally cheaper because of the location

By: Dolla dolla
#6  by: this is   

so off. It depends based on the house. My parents did not want to pay for it, so I manage to pay for it on my own. If you really want to rush (which you should) I promise it's easy to make it work

By: this is
#7  by: Queen   

If you aren't rich enough that money could even remotely be an issue, then being in a sorority is not for you. Go join an RSO with other poor people

By: Queen
by: freshgreekJun 23, 2014 4:50:31 PM

Like I said above, there wasn't much information out there about costs specifically at the University of Illinois. I'm from an upper class family, to most people would be considered rich, and most definitely am not even remotely close to being poor but the fact that you would assume that is actually laughable.

By: freshgreek
by: ?Sep 4, 2014 11:12:26 AM

DG? Is that you?

By: ?
by: bubblesApr 15, 2017 12:29:38 AM

you message actually makes me NOT want to rush in 4 years because it is personally offending

By: bubbles
by: not upper class May 27, 2017 8:16:40 PM

Hi. that was really rude. I am in a sorority here and Luuuuuv it!! Also many of my friends pay their dues on their own, every single cent!!!! and are able to manage quite well. Don't let the cost intimidate you. There are payment plans, MUCH cheaper houses in comparison to others, and even scholarships, donors, and of course on campus jobs that pay well (UIF for example) that help you manage paying your own dues. Don't listen to biotches that say you have to be rich to join. Not true at all

By: not upper class
by: uiucJun 6, 2017 7:50:14 AM

hey

By: uiuc
#8  by: @ above   

your comment just epitomizes why some girls get turned off by those queen houses. My little sis and her friends will not be pledging them.

By: @ above
#9  by: Quern   

Your little sister and friends probably are not beautiful enough to be a Queen

By: Quern
by: actuallySep 4, 2014 11:14:02 AM

Actually her name is "Quern." Like a "quernal" of "quorn."

By: actually
#10  by: @ Quern   

You are just proving @ aboves point by making that comment.

By: @ Quern

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.