facebook

sigma nu ??

by: doug

I've seen a few references to Sigma Nu on this board. Things like they have pledge class of 30, a nice house, a strong alumni faction and a history of being top tier. Why do they seem "off the radar" regarding rankings? Did they lose their charter? Are they engineering geeks? Are they introverts? Do they not party? Are they too small? I'm just curious because I am considering rushing next year as a freshman and unsure of whether I should consider Sigma Nu? My family dentist was an Illinois Sigma Nu in the 1980's and is encouraging me to reach out to them this summer. I'm also considering Acacia & Delta Chi ?? Please provide your honest opinions. Thanks

Posted By: doug
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 3
#1  by: why?   

I'm not saying Sigma Nu is bad.....they are irrelevant.
They don't block with any sorority.
They aren't worthy of the royal bar crawl.
They are mostly engineers.
Nuff said !!!

By: why?
by: @why?May 12, 2014 8:43:56 PM

The royal bar crawl is 3 fraternities and 3 sororities, saying that those are the only 6 that matter is irrelevant.

By: @why?
#2  by: .   

Most of them are really weird. I would definitely look else where.

By: .
by: AgreeMay 22, 2014 11:46:55 PM

Regarding SigNu, there are plenty of houses with equally nice of guys who have way better social calendars.
As for Delta Chi, middle tier social, but a lot of oddballs.
Acacia is definitely a top house with a good social calendar, but get ready to deal with some major douchey vibes.

Every house has pros and cons. These were just my personal opinions about each of the listed houses because they were the ones mentioned

By: Agree
#3  by: boz   

Sigma Nu lost their charter twice in short order for very bad behavior(s). They are lucky to have gained it back......they're even more lucky to have kept their house....They will probably never regain top tier status. They're still in rebuilding mode but I understand they've had two good back to back pledge classes. They never had more than about 75 members so I don't expect they ever will? In their day, they did block with all 3 top sororities and also held inter-fraternity football & basketball championships. Their alumni are definitely impressive with many CEOs, scientists, rich dudes and some infamous characters. They were known to recruit kids from wealthy families and dominated the golf & swimming teams/clubs. I believe they've made a pact to never experience the threat of losing their charter again. This may be why they tend to stay "off the radar." If it's important for you to be in a house considered by the masses to be "top tier," I would not pledge Sigma Nu. To the contrary, if you want to establish lifelong bonds with your brothers, Sigma Nu might serve you well?

By: boz
#4  by: Jake   

Sigma Nu appears to be not too well known. I dont ever see their letters at the bars, and I know they dont block. I haven't ever heard too much bad about them, so I guess that goes with staying off the radar. They're known to be pretty gentlemanly and all around good guys, from the few sorority girls I talk to who know them. Take that for what its worth.

By: Jake
by: @jakeMay 13, 2014 12:15:26 AM

no one should wear letters to the bars

By: @jake
#5  by: rush   

Idk much about them but just go and meet them in the fall and see if you like them or not. If they are weird just go elsewhere its not rocket science

By: rush
#6  by: Love Honor Truth   

Fraternities are about developing strong personal relationships. Friendships that, if we are lucky, will last a lifetime. The underlying values of the fraternity, if taken to heart, determine the character of the membership. In time, each member begins to appreciate all the more that it is not the things in his life that are important, it is the people in his life that are the true riches. As a Senior, the real fraternity man looks back on his experiences and knows that, each time he remembers those great college experiences, he will miss the brothers that he shared those experiences with. That is the heart of Sigma Nu. Take it from one who knows.

By: Love Honor Truth
by: tauMay 26, 2014 8:05:37 PM

Well said......but being relevant among the ladies provides more satisfaction...

By: tau
#7  by: hello kitty   

I'm in what's considered a top tier sorority and I have to admit the two SigNus in my economics class were cute and very respectable. The one guy kinda reminds me of Jim Carey and, although slightly strange, he keep us giggling with his antics. The other fellow was a bit greasy with slicked back hair, but nevertheless "hot" in an Italian kinda way? Although they do seem "off the radar," maybe one of them could find a place in my "secret garden?"

By: hello kitty
by: bar crawlMay 27, 2014 8:10:15 PM

No doubt a SigNu posing as a top tier sorority member .........Looser!!!

By: bar crawl
by: bar crawl jrMay 27, 2014 8:28:27 PM

There was a SigNu in my calculus class who always impersonated Dr. Who........He was a friggen freak show......if he's indicative of their pledge class, I would understand why they're perceived to be weird !!!

By: bar crawl jr
#8  by: cassie   

Give the Sigma Nus at least some respect...In spite of their National revoking their charter TWICE !!(an almost impossible circumstance to recover from), their alumni had enough faith to buy their historical house with cash and pour more money into updating it.......Although they're a small house and don't aspire to "bar pull" or other meaningless achievements any longer, the Sigma Nus I know are very cute, classy and respectable.....Compared to the "status quo" top tier perception of frats, I find this refreshing......

By: cassie
#9  by: @ cassie   

agree

By: @ cassie
#10  by: truth   

I would consider them the best small house. Probably top 20 overall. So not that great. But respectable. Check them out.

By: truth

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.