facebook

pnms, ask anything about rush

by: Grad

I graduated so I'm not afraid of getting in trouble with my house.
I rushed for my house two years and was a gamma chi.
I'm not going to say which house I was in.

Ask me anything about rush and I'll answer honestly to the best of my knowledge. Each house has its own rush practices, so keep that in mind.

Posted By: Grad
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: freshie   

Which house thats top or upper mid has the least amount of hazing besides sig ep. I'm gonna be pre med and I won't have too much time for an intense pledge ship.

By: freshie
#2  by: Frosh   

So my mom is kind of against rushing houses, and she is really against hazing. The only house she is willing to let me join right now is sig ep, I am a social guy and I want to have a good social life but I know sig ep doesnt have the best rep. Will I be alright? or should i try and talk to my mom some more even tho she seems pretty set on that?

By: Frosh
by: i love sigepAug 4, 2017 10:50:14 AM

I'm a girl, in one of these "top houses" apparently according to Greek rank, and i luuuuuv sig ep and so does the rest of my house. It gets a bad rep cause other guys judge them for not hazing, but they are awesome guys.

By: i love sigep
#3  by: 23 savage   

@frosh, if you're personally willing to endure a pledgeship, I highly recommend you try your hardest to look at other houses besides Sig Ep. Not to turn this into a Sig Ep bashing sesh, as yes, there are bound to be some cool guys in a house of 180, but they have serious and pervasive brotherhood problems and really generally attract a certain type of dude. If you fit in, then great, but don't go in only considering one house, especially one with the "unique" characteristics and dimensions of Sigma Phi Epsilon.

By: 23 savage
by: uiucAug 7, 2017 10:04:33 AM

sig ep is awesome, you'd be lucky to get a bid

By: uiuc
#4  by: PNM   

I'm an incoming freshman going through formal PHC recruitment and I'm nervous about hazing. Part of me is happy because I've looked up hazing at UIUC and haven't seen much from the sororities, but I'm always a bit skeptical. I am not against some mild hazing like pop quizzes on sorority history and stuff, but I've read some extreme stories about girls who dumped syrup and ice cream and other just disgusting things on their pledges and I don't want to have to do that. Are there houses to look out for as far as extreme hazing goes?

By: PNM
by: urgudJul 30, 2017 11:57:36 AM

you're fine because the sororities on campus honestly don't haze. mine didn't AT ALL. i know of one or two of my friends who are in different houses, and they had very very very mild hazing. nothing extreme like the rumors that i have personally heard about

By: urgud
by: gradJul 30, 2017 7:58:39 PM

You won't get hazed. In a lot of houses, the best you'll ever be treated, beside senior year, is when you're a pledge. They don't want girls to drop, so its pretty much just them trying to get the new pledge class to bond with socials and learn about the history with pledge education once or twice a week.

Your pledge period with consist of no hazing and a lot of encouragement and socials. It's nothing to be scared of.

By: grad
by: no hazing Aug 4, 2017 10:51:35 AM

Literally the opposite of hazing goes on. People just give you presents and tell you they love you for no reason. For sure, at least in my sorority, no hazing. only love for the new members <3

By: no hazing
by: replyAug 4, 2017 11:15:24 PM

I'm a 20 in a PHC house and we were absolutely not hazed. Pledgeship consisted mostly of bonding/getting-to-know you activities which were usually fun and sometimes a little awkward, just because I didn't know anyone going in. We were taught about our sorority's history and expected to know that info afterwards; I don't consider that hazing and nothing more extreme happened.

By: reply
by: truthOct 12, 2017 11:05:49 PM

if you wanna get hazed- go theta!! they give you a notecard with how much weight to lose right after you join. and the older girls scream insults at you! great house. no other sororities have lol

By: truth
#5  by: (:   

I'm rushing a second time after dropping a sorority before initiation last fall. Any tips on girls rushing as sophomores or for someone who was already in a house? Will I be dropped from other houses if I don't show up to my "old" house's open house round? Really don't want that awkward encounter..

By: (:
by: difficultyAug 16, 2017 4:39:08 PM

A big part of life is showing up. Then there's being polite. You are required to show up at all the houses during first round of formal recruitment. It's called being a big girl/growing up and liking it. Rank the houses as you wish, but if 'that house' gets on your invite list another time please show up (this is only if you have been given fewer invites than you have spaces for parties) or your chances of being bid go way down because you are not 'playing fair' to every house.

By: difficulty
by: buttAug 20, 2017 5:02:26 AM

You do have to show up as their open house. It'll be awkward but open house is awkward a lot of the time anyway and it'll go by quickly. There are always sophomores in your shoes and they all get through it.

Focus on making the best impression at ALL of the other houses and rank your old one last after open so you hopefully get asked back to enough houses that you don't have to go back to your old one after open.

By: butt
#6  by: Question   

Would you be weirded out, excited, or neutral if a girl from uiuc that you don't know personally asked you for a rec? Like maybe if you were out of state and actually from the same/city or had some other unlikely connection.

And also since I'm asking about recs, would that rec even mean much to the people still in your sorority? I have been hearing a lot that recs don't even really get read at this school.

By: Question
by: buttAug 20, 2017 4:57:55 AM

Can't speak for others, but in my house having a rec letter meant literally nothing. Being a legacy helps though.

By: butt
#7  by: Hi   

How likely are my chances of getting a bid as a sophomore? I'm transferring in and would love to be involved in Greek life, but I've heard of some schools having sororities that don't take many sophomores.

By: Hi
by: HeyAug 20, 2017 6:57:25 PM

You'll be fine

By: Hey
by: uiucAug 22, 2017 12:16:33 AM

no worries

By: uiuc
#8  by: ?   

If I have a class conflict with one of the open house days, as long as I let the recruitment counselor know in advance, will the chances of me being invited back be reduced significantly?

By: ?
by: 18Aug 23, 2017 6:19:24 PM

Some houses will not ask you back if they don't meet you, some will. Honestly it's a 50/50 chance you have. You still have a whole day of open, so don't worry too much! If you have your heart set on a house that you are missing, I would talk to a girl in the chapter to get you on their list.

By: 18

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.