facebook

not being in a sorority

by: Incoming freshmen

If you aren't in a sorority, do you feel left out/don't have a super fun experience at UIUC? Generally speaking.

Posted By: Incoming freshmen
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: Panhel Roommate   

From secondhand experience with a roommate who wasn't in greek life, yes. Sororities have events I'd say on average three times during the week, not counting chapter dinner, whether they be with fraternities or events with the whole house. Then during the weekend there's even more. It's not even necessarily just meeting the girls in your house, but you get more opportunities to connect with the entire Greek community as a whole. Regardless of what this website says, if you're in a class and you see someone wearing whatever Greek letters (TIERS DON'T ACTUALLY MATTER), you both have something in common and it's much easier to strike up a conversation. My roommate didn't get this experience and really felt isolated. Obviously I introduced her to many of my friends, but she did complain about feeling left out and like people were judging her (they weren't). She rushed her sophomore year and is much happier. Yet this is one experience, I'm sure there's many others. Just try out rush! You have nothing to lose!

By: Panhel Roommate
#2  by: soph rush   

As someone who rushed as a sophomore, I don't feel like I missed out on anything my freshman year. I came in believing the bad stereotypes about sororities and didn't want to join one. I had plenty of fun, plenty of friends (Greek and not), I don't regret it a bit. I decided to rush because I saw that the stereotypes largely weren't true and I thought I would give it a shot. Turns out I found a chapter that I really clicked with and it was mutual. If that hasn't happened, though, I would have been fine staying non-greek.

I would suggest that anyone rush who even half thinks about it, because you can always drop rush or drop your sorority if you really don't like it, but I think most people end up enjoying the experience.

By: soph rush
by: initiationFeb 22, 2017 5:20:37 PM

Don't forget to drop-out if you don't like it BEFORE you initiate. It's best in so many ways for both you, and for the feelings of chapter members who've grown to know you, to do so because then certain financial costs for you won't come into play and if you leave politely on good terms you may be able to join another group later.

By: initiation
by: soph rushFeb 22, 2017 7:37:15 PM

Yes. Absolutely. I meant either during rush or during the new member period. I should have been more specific.

By: soph rush
#3  by: hey   

I am currently a freshman who didn't rush, but all my friends are in greek life. Do i feel left out? Yes and no. No i don't because my friends include me and i am bar legal so i can party when i want. But i would also say yes (more so than no) i do feel left out because my friends know a lot more people through the greek community than i do. They are able to have fun events with frats that I can't go to, and generally, they are more social than i am, not because i don't enjoy having a good time and being social, but because they have more opportunity to be. With that being said, i am going to rush as a sophomore.I still have fun, but I feel like college could be better for me.

By: hey
#4  by: UI   

So I rushed my freshman year and ended up dropping before initiation because I found that I had a lot more fun with friends outside the house. They were cool people but I really loved the communities I found outside of it and I didn't feel like spending all my time there. About 70% of the campus is not Greek so there really are many other groups and people to get connected to. (Not to say don't rush, but it really isn't your only option).

Also side note, I do have a few friends in Greek life who really like it, and I have tons of friends who aren't and have an awesome college experience.

By: UI
#5  by: anon   

From personal experience, I rushed last fall but dropped before second invite. I feel that the level at which you would feel excluded if you didn't rush depends on your own personality. For me, I was the type of person who had a strong group of friends at home and went out and drank a lot during high school so I felt pretty left out seeing all my friends from high school join houses and be out have fun. On the other hand, it gave me the chance to branch out and become friends with girls in a lot of different houses. Also, my friends in houses were super inclusive to me and always took me out with them to pregames and barn dances and bar crawls. In some ways, I'm glad I was a geed this year because it gave me the chance to hangout with girls from a ton of different houses and get a better idea of where I'd fit in best. Overall, being a geed isnt horrible I guess it depends on the type of person you are, but I definitely will be rushing in this fall. Also, being bar legal plays a big role in going out and seeing people, as everyone pretty much ends up at the bar after most exchanges/date events anyways (and of course pregamed and bar crawls).

By: anon

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.