facebook

rush

by: senior

When should high school senior girls start getting together recs for rush? How many should we get and is it better to have recs from people that were in the sorority at smu or does it matter? Also what else do we need to have besides recs?

Posted By: senior
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: Bump!   

Curious also!

By: Bump!
by: CraziesMay 26, 2015 5:44:34 AM

Only die hard crazies worry about recs

By: Crazies
#2  by: Smu   

1 per house that you are interested in. Also, get to know girls first semester.

By: Smu
by: SmuApr 21, 2015 12:24:18 AM

And doesn't matter if recs from SMU

By: Smu
by: GoGreek May 24, 2015 3:20:03 PM

Terrible advice. Get recs for EVERY house, not just the ones you're "interested in." Not having a rec is the easiest way to get cut, especially after 1st round when cuts are huge. Grades and recs are what most cuts that round are made for, and both are completely avoidable. Plus, a lot of freshen come in "PKT or die" and end up pledging a house they weren't all that "interested in" to begin with. If you don't get a rec for every house, you may be kissing your one chance to go Greek good-bye.

By: GoGreek
#3  by: SMU   

It doesn't matter how many recs you have- if you don't get to know a lot of girls in the houses it will be extremely hard to get a bid. It's all about who you get to know first semester so take full advantage of rush dates, etc. and be on your best behavior.

By: SMU
#4  by: GoGreek    

NOW! Actually, now is a bit late. Ideally, you would have gotten your Rush packet and recs to your Rec writers in April so they have time to send to SMU before school got out in early May. Get on this ASAP if you haven't already!!

by: @GoGreekJun 1, 2015 8:41:07 PM

Do you even go to SMU??? SMU does recruitment in January, so chapters are accepting and reviewing them all of the fall semester, so no need to worry about it too much now. You have not missed the boat.

Ideally, a rec for each house is nice because it puts you on the sororities' radar, but they do not have to be from SMU alumns and are absolutely, 100% not necessary to get a bid.
Because SMU does recruitment in January, PNMs are able to get to know sorority women all first semester and the sororities rely a lot more on those friendships than on some recommendation a 50 year old woman wrote for you.

I hope that helps!

By: @GoGreek
#5  by: GoGreek   

Yes, I am, and my house gets a ton of recs before summer. I'm from Dallas and it's what I was advised to do even for deferred rush schools. Two main reasons being spring is when rec writers are focused ( don't want to be away at college and have ladies forget) and also so the sorority women will know who is rushing before the freshmen get here in the fall. We want to know who the top legacies and pnm's are early.

by: @gogreekJun 3, 2015 9:14:01 AM

It doesn't really sound like you go here considering no one calls it "deferred rush". I'm in a sorority here too and we don't even start our slideshows until the first week back at school in the fall. I got all 8 of my recs for each house the summer before my freshman year and women were more than willing and "focused" to write them.

Besides, the main thing about SMU recruitment is that the pnms get to know the sorority women in the fall semester. You could have a glowing rec but it doesn't mean nearly as much unless you actually know some girls in the chapter.

By: @gogreek
#6  by: GoGreek   

Really? No one calls it deferred Rush? Then why is the term deferred plastered all over SMU media? Nice try....now I'm wondering if YOU even go here.

www.smu.edu/StudentAffairs/StudentActivities/PAN/JoinPAN< br /> SMU Panhellenic adheres to the university policy of "deferred recruitment"

www.smudailycampus.com/news/spring-rush-is-worth-the-wait
Having deferred recruitment is a huge advantage because it gives [you] time to both truly see all the different personalities of the houses and develop relationships with girls in every house,” said current sorority woman and junior Molly O’Connor.\n\n\n\n\n

by: @GoGreekJun 6, 2015 3:01:22 PM

Ok why don't you go up to any greek woman here at SMU and drop the words "deferred rush" into a conversation. They'll look at you like you're from another planet, or, I don't know, another school???

Please stop giving advice to girls who are seeking advice from real SMU greek women.

By: @GoGreek

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.