facebook

opinion on rec letters?!

by: USM rising freshman

ARE REC LETTER IMPORTANT AT USM?
I will be a rising freshman this fall and plan to go Greek. I already have found people to write me rec letters for KD, ChiO, DG, and AXO and possibly PhiMu, but that was just because I happened to have them as teachers/neighbors/etc. I don't have any Greek affiliations because my family all went to private universities up north where Greek wasn't very big. I'm ranked in the top 10 of my grad class of 300+ with a really high GPA. I was offered the best of the university scholarships. I have a ton of stuff of my resume for volunteering and stuff and I'm super outgoing and great with meeting new people. And yes, according to what people say I'm pretty. Despite all this, should I still pursue rec letters from the rest of the sororities on campus? Or should I be fine without letters for all of them?

Posted By: USM rising freshman
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: usm   

Having them will be a help to you. But to get a better since of greek life at usm, you should visit their page.

By: usm
#2  by: usm   

Here is the link: www.usm.edu/greek-life/2015-cpc-formal-recruitment

By: usm
#3  by: GoGreek   

Yes, rec letters help, but don't freak out if you don't have one. The odds of a chapter cutting you just because you don't have a rec letter are slim to none.

By: GoGreek
by: ^Not at all.May 15, 2015 1:34:24 AM

In my sorority, and at least 2 others that I know of for sure, we CAN'T extend a bid to a girl without a rec. It is a policy from Nationals. If we REALLY like a girl we will keep her a day or two and try to find a rec for her, but that happens extremely rarely. Any girl without a rec is automatically released.

By: ^Not at all.
#4  by: ...   

With my sorority at USM, if we like you then we will find someone to write you a rec that way we can extend a bid to you. We don't cut girls just because they do not have a rec but we cannot extend you a bid without a rec so we take it upon ourselves to find an alum to write one for you!

By: ...
by: ButJun 2, 2015 1:05:01 AM

you should NOT count on chapters doing this for you! Try to get more recs if you can. It will be a little work but not very much. Reach out to your local alumnae group and ask (kindly) if one of them could write you a rec for the chapter you're missing. Keep in mind, if you aren't super duper polite, they probably will say no or never call you back or something. Alumnae groups tend to be that way.

By: But
#5  by: Be careful   

first of all PNM, get off this site! It's nothing but negative and you need to go into recruitment with an open mind. I would also not put all this info about yourself because sororities will see this and know who you are and that youre on this site.

By: Be careful

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.