facebook

gpa

by: Kels

Why is it that some universities like Southern Miss have a low GPA requirement for admissions, but sororities want you to have a 3.0 to become a member or even be considered for a bid? Why can't girls with a lower GPA get into a sorority but have to have a certain GPA by a certain time? I know the GPA requirement is set by nationals but think about all the great girls that don't get bids all because of the grades they made in high school..

Posted By: Kels
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: Well   

Well...think about it this way. How can a sorority expect you to keep your grades high with all the social events, meetings, and philanthropic competitions you will be expected to go to if you didn't make grades previously? And not all of the sororities cut if you don't have above a 3.0

By: Well
by: No honeyJan 3, 2014 12:12:23 PM

@well.......the correct word was "expect." I think you just proved why sororities didn't take, or your low GPA. Goodbye.

By: No honey
by: LolJul 22, 2014 7:00:40 PM

^that made me laugh

By: Lol
#2  by: Kels   

That's very true but I think if I had a low GPA but still got into a sorority, it would definitely motivate me to study harder so I can participate in all the events. I know you could always wait until your sophomore year to join a sorority but I just feel like I would miss out on a lot if I were in that situation

By: Kels
#3  by: I mean   

If you have a low GPA without all the time commitments of a sorority, what makes you think we would want you? We have busy schedules. And really anything below a 3.0 coming out of HIGH SCHOOL isn't impressive at all. You should probably buckle down and sit out a year under you can get a decent college GPA

By: I mean
by: KelsJan 2, 2014 8:40:08 PM

That's true too. I asked why universities like USM have a low GPA requirement for admissions but in order to join a sorority, you need a 3.0 because my friend and I were talking about how she wants to join a sorority her freshman year of college (she's a senior) but she can't because she went through some things her freshman and sophomore year of high school that caused her to have such a low GPA. I'm trying to convince her to go through requirement her sophomore year instead of her freshman year so she won't get her hopes up

By: Kels
by: @KelsJan 3, 2014 3:58:27 PM

You want me to be honest? The reason why some girls get into houses with their low GPAs is because they have something else to offer. Maybe a ton of their high school friends are in the house. Maybe they have some "extra support" to offer the house. Maybe they have a connection to some alums or a sibling demanding they be invited to join.
Unfortunately, not everyone has strong ties in Panhellenic prior to coming to Southern, which is why everyone coming through as a freshman should make sure their resume is top notch and they have no skeletons in the closet.

By: @Kels
#4  by: Active   

Are you effing serious ladies?? If you can't even make a 3.0 in highschool then you should probably more focused on your studies than sorority life. A 3.0 is not that hard to make people! I failed a class my freshman year and got straight C's a semester of highschool and still managed to get a 3.1! You honestly should be grateful for a gpa requirement set at a low 3.0 cause my friend at mizzou said their requirement for any respectable house was a 3.5 and at mississippi state its usually around a 3.2. Like honestly, our houses have to have some standards! We want SMART girls in sororities, not a bunch of bimbos. Also generally your college gpa is much lower than your highschool gpa so grade risks are NOT very promising. If you wanted to join a sorority and have fun in college you probably should of thought about that when you didn't turn in that homework assignment or skipped that class!

By: Active

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.