facebook

gamma sigma?

by: randy marsh

Who exactly is Gamma Sigma? They have a house in a prime location, but it looks abandoned and I've never heard anyone talk about them. Are they still around?

Posted By: randy marsh
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: RU Alumni   

I remember this fraternity ack in the late 70's-Ealry 80's. Gamma Sigma was a Co-ed Fraternity that focused on primarily on community service I believe. I thoughtthey died out in the late 90's. Their house is in a prime location on Union Street. I am surprise no other Greek Org. has claimed it for themselves.

By: RU Alumni
by: LalaFeb 12, 2020 10:16:42 PM

Claimed it for themselves? We own our house. It’s our property. You can’t just claim some elses property for yourself.

By: Lala
by: JMJul 25, 2022 7:10:13 PM

We have always been there, just had a house fire in 2009 that displaced us to off-campus housing for a bit. But we own the property, deed and all, so no orgs can just claim the house.

By: JM
#2  by: uh   

If they're not affiliated how are they allowed to keep letters on that house?

By: uh
by: lolDec 18, 2013 11:46:57 AM

you're not too smart bro, you don't need to be affiliated to have letters

By: lol
#3  by: ^wut   

yeah you do, it's a rutgers requirement.

By: ^wut
by: LalaFeb 12, 2020 10:15:41 PM

Sure isn’t. Gamma Sigma owns its own property and house. Not affiliated. Not the same as any other frat. Good luck being dumb though.

By: Lala
#4  by: ^   

uh no its not. having letters on a private house has nothing to do with rutgers. has to do with new brunswick fire code.

By: ^
by: ADec 30, 2013 12:04:30 AM

Well it definitely has nothing to do with Rutgers but believe it or not is a zoning law, in order to have letters the house has to be zoned as a high occupancy residence and then you are allowed to put letters on a house, or for that matter the name of ur organization if for some reason it wasn't a frat/sorority

By: A
#5  by: Former GS TEP   

I had the privilege to live at Gamma Sigma when it was TEP. We never lost our GS roots. We were the first fraternity to accept women and run a co-ed house. We were featured in the NY Times. We attempted to turn the entire TEP fraternity co-ed and almost succeeded. We lost by 1/3 of 1 vote at the national convention. Jane Griffith was President at the time and was Treasurer of the Rutgers Student Govt and sat on the fraternity council. We were also proud to have Don Barton as a member who was an original Gamma Sigma member and returned to school. I lived at TEP from 1972 to 1977 and we struggled through with no financial support at all. We welcomed people of all persuasions and backgrounds and did away with hazing long before other frats. Some of the very best memories of my 61 years were in that run down house at 19 Union Street.

By: Former GS TEP
by: Fall'84Nov 26, 2014 2:29:31 PM

Hello, I help with compiling the directory and history of the House. I would like very much to speak with you about your time at Gamma Sig. We don't know much about the seventies and it must have been an incredible time! Tell me who the cook was in an email to jsdfall84@comcast.net Thanks!!

By: Fall'84
#6  by: House   

Does Gamma Sigma own their house or are they on a lease??

By: House
#7  by: lol   

theyre like an lgbtq+ frat

By: lol

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.