facebook

sororities

by: War eagle

Is it hard to get into a sorority out of state? I'm just worried because I'm not from Alabama. Also, how much do letters of rec help if the person graduated from a school that's not auburn?

Posted By: War eagle
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 2
#1  by: @@@   

Some sororities require recommendations in order extend a bid. They say they will get one for you....but, I would make it easy for the sorority and get a rec for them...even if it is from an alumna from a different university.

By: @@@
#2  by: Help   

I am a pledge to a fraternity on campus and have many friends that are in sororities at Auburn. Where you are from usually does not play a huge role in getting a bid. Letters of recommendation could never hurt, but do not bombard the one sorority with tons of letters. You should be fine with one or two,maybe three, but any more than that will show you're trying to do too much.

By: Help
by: Fraternity PledgeJan 26, 2015 7:30:04 PM

Stay in your lane...Fraternity recruitment and Sorority Recruitment are completely different. I'm glad you have sorority friends, but you have NO Idea what you are talking about.

By: Fraternity Pledge
#3  by: Rush!   

So many girls pledge great sororities out of state! Don't worry so much.

By: Rush!
#4  by: Rush   

Our of state girls are openly accepted all the time!

By: Rush
#5  by: Rush   

Our of state girls are openly accepted all the time!

By: Rush
#6  by: Yep!   

^this

By: Yep!
#7  by: OOS   

Some sororities have more out of state girls than others, since with certain sororities it does come down to who you know, and they tend to take friends from high school over strangers. However, you can still find your home anywhere! Just keep an open mind!

By: OOS
#8  by: from out of state   

Not going to beat around the bush, knowing people is a huge help. Certain sororities already have bid lists planned right now, and if you don't know someone in that house, the odds of them feeling like they know you well enough, after 75 minutes worth of conversation with them during rush, to know that you will be a valuable member of their sorority are relatively low. With that being said, you don't HAVE to know people or be from Alabama. I came in from out of state and read things on this website and had a list of 4 or 5 sororities I thought I would fit in and one would be the sorority I joined. Did I go any of those? No. Was I upset during rush? A little. Would I change it for the world? Absolutely not. I cannot stress enough to PNMs, especially those who don't know anyone and base their preferences off of hear say, to rank your choices each day based on the girls in the houses and the conversations had. I now hold a position in my sorority, have the best sisters I could ask for, and have found my home away from home. If I had joined one of the sororities I expected I probably wouldn't enjoy it as much, considering everyone in those houses usually knows girls in the sorority on bid day, and I wouldn't have known anyone from the get-go.

By: from out of state
by: from out of stateApr 14, 2015 1:39:32 PM

To girls that are from in-state or know people: your best fried from high school could be a ABC and you always thought you would go ABC but if you're having a great experience in XYZ please do not rule them out, or choose to go somewhere comfortable. College is about growth and finding who you really are, and joining a different sorority than you might have expected can be the best experience of your life. You will always remain friends with girls you know, so why not follow your heart and keep an open mind during rush! (this applies to legacies too)

By: from out of state
#9  by: kath   

Just do what you can and if they want you, you'll get in whether you find a rec or not. Simple

By: kath
#10  by: Relax   

Recs are important, but not as important as they sound. If they want you, they will get an alumni to write one for you on the spot during rush. Girls from all the states pledge.

By: Relax

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.