facebook

bids

by: PNM

I am a PNM and was just wondering how many PNMs will not get a bid to join a sorority. Is it common that girls do not get bids? Or do most not join because they choose not to?

Posted By: PNM
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: Hi   

Over 2000 girls rush for about 800-900 spots depending on quota.

By: Hi
#2  by: Not exactly    

Not sure where "Hi" got her numbers but last year over 1.400 PNM's signed up for rush. According to the fall 2013 grade report, which is published by UF, there were 1071 new Panhellenic members. I would suspect that a fair amount of the girls that didn't receive a bid dropped out of rush for varying reasons . It does happen that girls don't receive a bid but don't be too preoccupied by that. Enjoy the crazy experience that is RUSH!

By: Not exactly
by: PNMJul 28, 2014 9:54:19 PM

Okay thanks so much guys! :)

By: PNM
by: IT wasJul 30, 2014 8:31:52 AM

There was about 1800 actually

22 groups with approx. 80 girls in each group went through

By: IT was
#3  by: Actually,   

The University of Alabama had over 2,000 girls rush the past two years. They held the record for the largest recruitment in history in 2012 and broke their own record in 2013. I know from a family member on that campus that their rush is INSANE.

By: Actually,
#4  by: Just adding on   

I am one of those who did NOT get a bid when I rushed last year, but it is because I suicided (only put down one house). I would think that a lot of the girls who didn't receive a bid are in the same boat I was. Sometimes it just works out like that! Hope this helps!

By: Just adding on
by: CuriousAug 1, 2014 11:37:00 PM

To just adding on... After being at UF for a year now and getting a better picture of each sorority, do you regret your decision to suicide? Do you think you could have been happy at one of the other houses you pref'ed at? Just looking for advice from somebody who has been in your shoes. Do you plan to go through rush again?

By: Curious
by: ?Aug 2, 2014 8:20:11 AM

^bump

By: ?
#5  by: From experience   

I went through recruitment and had a very good experience. Was only dropped from 2 houses along the way and I had menu to choose from...got my first choice

My roommate was dropped by many houses along the way and almost dropped. She got into ahouse that she did not want to really be in and at first was going to drop. she stuck with it and now absolutely loves her house and the girls in it.

None of the houses are "bad" at UF. some are just more popular....you will friends in the house you end up in.....

By: From experience
#6  by: ugh   

Just FYI, the first post is totally inaccurate. There is not set number of spots. That is a huge misconception. That's simply not how quota works.

Quota = #of girls signing their MRABA (pref card)/ # of houses

So if 1000 girls complete rush and sign pref cards, quota = 1000/16 = 62.5 = 63
If the number is 1200 who sign, quota = 1200/16 = 75

By: ugh
by: yessssAug 3, 2014 10:55:39 PM

ugh thank you!!

By: yessss
by: Dont think soAug 3, 2014 11:24:44 PM

If so the why did Phi Mu have 107 girls get bids

By: Dont think so
by: Yes but^Aug 6, 2014 2:15:06 PM

The reason you get more than what is set as quote is because of quota additions, not because sororities give out more bids than others. After the houses submit their bid lists and girls are matched, there are girls remaining who maximized their options but were not high enough on a bid list to receive a bid. However, since they maximized their options, they will be placed in one of the houses they signed to. That is called a quota addition and encourages PNMs not to suicide.

By: Yes but^
#7  by: Gatorgirl   

There is a common misperception that "weaker houses" (as "Dumb" above puts it) has retention problems but the numbers don't lie. Going into Rush '13, Phi Mu had 159 active members. Kappa Delta was the only house larger with 160 active members. I found these numbers by looking at the Greek Grade report for Fall 2013. Maybe you should consider that Phi Mu did an outstanding job recruiting last year, matching bids with more PNM's than even they expected to see on Bid Day. Good for them!

By: Gatorgirl
by: HuuuuuuuAug 6, 2014 12:02:35 PM

Okay well how many of your PC 13 remain Phi Mu?

By: Huuuuuuu
by: GatorgirlAug 6, 2014 2:01:40 PM

94 PC'13 remained in Phi Mu making this sorority the largest on campus.

By: Gatorgirl
by: SoAug 6, 2014 9:25:00 PM

There really is no set quota formula...duh...no division of girls remaining ect.

Exception here and exception there....blah blah blah

By: So

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.