facebook

greek life

by: Pnm

Is Greek life big here? I like the idea of a college being friendly to Greeks, because some absolutely cringe at the fact that they have Greeks on campus. Also, how big are the sororities? Are the fraternities about the same size? Any general comments about the sororities without bashing anyone?

Posted By: Pnm
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: Bulldog   

Most if the campus isn't fond of Greeks and the deans of the campus show favoritism towards certain ones and not others, but without Greeks tech wouldn't much. Greeks pretty much run the campus. 4 sororities around 130 each. 9 fraternities with an average of around 40-50.

By: Bulldog
by: pnmMar 5, 2014 11:24:07 PM

do the sororities do a lot? not specifically philanthropy or things like that but do they like have a lot of functions? which fraternities kind of pair with which sororities?

By: pnm
#2  by: michelle   

Sororities do do a lot! Somme houses have more events than others, but every house has exchanges and parties throughout the year. There's not really one sorority that sticks to one fraternity or vice versa, although there are girls in each one who have their favorites. I have noticed a lot of phi mus around kappa sigs, lots of kd's around sigma nu's, axo's around pikes, and sigmas around pi kapps.

By: michelle
#3  by: michelle   

Also, greek like at Tech is awesome and are very involved on campus. Of course there is going to be the groups of people who do not like them, but there is also a large group that appreciates all they do!

By: michelle
#4  by: Bulldog66   

Not a very good Greek school. Sorority wise, yes! They have had things rolling well successfully even through the bad economy since the early years. Fraternities though..... Louisiana Tech has many daily commuters as well as enrolled students from the local cities and areas (Shreveport, Monroe ect), making the actual population in Ruston regularly very small. The city of Ruston as well as the campus are more than dead each weekend. Louisiana Tech as a College, is not very pricey to attend. In this economy, many of the students attending do not necesarily have the extra financial support to pay fraternity dues. Louisiana Tech does NOT need ten Fraternities. The Sororities are very successful enrollment wise having only four Chapters. The Fraternities are no longer averaging 40-50 members. Out of the 10, many groups are actually struggling to keep twenty. A more successful system would be 4-6 Larger numbered Chapters. Many Larger universities do not even have 10 fraternities.... The Louisiana Tech IFC is a scattered unorganized mess. Each Fraternity pays dues each quarter, and receives little if anything back in return. "Greek" Events tend to have very low attendance unless required by the Chapters. I do promote going Greek, being such a good decision in my college career. If you are looking for a college though with great Greek life and can manage to look elsewhere, I would. Check out the Greek Population at schools such as TCU and Ole Miss. Absolutely blast LaTech.

By: Bulldog66
by: PnmApr 9, 2014 6:40:45 PM

So are the formals/swaps/mixers decent? KA does old south, is it considered a pretty formal?

By: Pnm
#5  by: Sockens   

Each fraternity kind of has its own special formal but the sororitiy formals are mostly the same. KA definitely has the best formal but they are all good. Every fraternity has parties which are fun but exchanges can be kind of boring depending on who you're with.

By: Sockens

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.