facebook

why do sororities have limits on how many girls?

by: Greek life

I'm not exactly sure their limit but I believe it's 60 per year? Or something like that I see that each year they have no problem making that goal. When I look at frats, they have no limit but they are no where near as close in numbers. I think that girls care more about being in a sorority than guys do a frat. I've seen frats struggle to get 25 guys a year.

Why do sororities cap the number of girls while fraternities do not?

Posted By: Greek life
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: Npc   

The campus ceiling (maximum number of members a sorority chapter can have) is determined by averaging the number of members in each house after Formal Fall Recruitment is completed. This is an NPC rule, and is recalculated every year. It keeps the more popular houses a fair size, while allowing houses under ceiling to COB until they hit ceiling.

On a strong campus, almost no house should have to COB the rest of the year after formal recruitment. Last spring, most of the sororities participated in COB, and some took sizable classes. If no one was needing to COB and the classes were getting bigger, that would indicate a need for expansion.

There isn't a limit to how many girls a house can take in a year, so long as they take quota (plus additions where applicable) in Formal recruitment, then bid up to ceiling the rest of the year. If quota puts a house over ceiling, they are done recruiting until they drop below ceiling, or until next Formal Recruitment.

By: Npc
by: NpcJul 5, 2015 11:05:12 AM

COB= Continuous Open Bidding ( informal recruiting).

By: Npc
by: yepJul 6, 2015 11:33:52 AM

This is right, you also have to remember there are far more fraternities than there are sororities on campus. It's good to keep pledge class sizes smaller to get better unity as a chapter. there are other campuses with huge pledge classes over 100 members each year, and having a 400-member sorority makes sisterhood a real struggle

By: yep
#2  by: and   

Another thing that affects campus ceiling at URI is housing. Most of the sorority houses at URI sleep 40-60 people, so the membership needs to be enough to pay the bills. It wasn't that long ago that houses were having trouble filling some of their rooms because of lower membership, upperclassmen wanting to live down the line, and so on. So the classes being the size they are now are probably perfect for a university this size, with the housing currently available.

By: and

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.