facebook

interest in new sorority?

by: New Girl in Town

I'm very seriously considering transferring to GT due to financial constraints but they don't have a KKG chapter on their row I noticed (the sorority I was initiated into last spring). The process of starting a new chapter is difficult;however, I would seriously consider undergoing the process if there was enough interest in a new sorority on the row.
Any thoughts?

Posted By: New Girl in Town
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: sorry   

Most people would say probably not. A new sorority really doesn't bring much to the table at GT

By: sorry
#2  by: person   

I don't think it will happen this year, I heard that expansion was voted against recently. Maybe in a couple years or so, but good luck.

By: person
#3  by: Pleaseee   

I would love a new sorority in campus. Would cut down on all the massive pledge classes some places initiate, and also spread out the social scene a bit more. Expansion has been voted on time And time again and certain sororities keep voting against it everytime. If you can make it happen then awsome, but the odds are against you.

By: Pleaseee
#4  by: Expansion   

Even if we opened for expansion, there's no guarantee it would be Kappa.

By: Expansion
#5  by: Tech   

CPC just voted against expansion this Fall, definitely not happening anytime soon.

By: Tech
#6  by: Yes   

I'm in a very good chapter at GT and would love to see Kappa on campus! You might want to talk to the Kappa organization that represents GA/Atlanta first though because they would need the funds, etc to purchase/build a suitable house on campus and they would want to gauge interest. Overall though, Georgia tech's female population is increasing and GT will need more sororities to accommodate that. Although, due to CPC constraints, it might not be possible to start a new chapter in the next 1-2 years. But, I know of several men who have transferred and affiliated with a different fraternity because the chapter they were initiated into isn't on campus, so you could see if any GT sororities would be willing to do that. The most kappa-like sororities at GT are probably ADPi and Zeta

By: Yes
by: WellJan 3, 2015 4:48:48 PM

If she was already initiated, there's no way she can join another sorority. Also, depending on what school she's coming from, her chapter may not resemble Adpi or Zta at all.

By: Well
by: exactlyJan 4, 2015 7:23:39 PM

NPC does not work the same way as NIC. Not even close.

As other posters have stated, expansion will likely happen within the next 5 years, but was recently voted against. Any new group will have to be able to build competitive housing. And there's no guarantee that Kappa would be the group or would even be interested.

If your collegiate sorority years are that important to you (which they should be) don't transfer to GT. Find a school with a Kappa chapter where you can affiliate. I say this because alumnae life is rewarding but a different experience entirely. You could get in contact with a Kappa alumnae association, but, like I said, I'd really recommend not transferring here.

By: exactly
#7  by: Good Fit   

Kappa is one of the strongest sororities nationally and is top tier at most schools like Georgia Tech. It would do great here I think.

By: Good Fit
#8  by: okay but   

Just because you think that doesn't make expansion happen. Kappa is roughly the same size as the groups currently on campus with 141 active chapters but every chapter is different. There is no guarantee they'd be top tier. Look at Alpha Phi...they're top tier at a lot of schools up north and in California, but look at them here. Just as a comparison.

Plus, expansion was recently voted against, so it's going to be a bit before the topic comes up again. Housing was probably a big issue in regards to why it was voted down, as was the fact that every single house had girls drop between bid day and initiation this year, even the ones that haven't had that happen in 4+ years.

And it's just not how expansion works. A campus has to open for expansion, which is sent out in a bulletin to all NPC member groups. Interested groups not currently on campus submit interest packets and make campus visits. Those are narrowed down to usually 3 finalists who come and present and a final group is chosen, OR a stack happens where the first group comes on the next year and then in X years the 2nd choice group comes on.

There is no guarantee Kappa would chosen or would even be interested in colonizing here if and when we do open.

By: okay but
#9  by: please is right   

We need more vag here the dude is right.

By: please is right
by: uhhhh?Jan 15, 2015 10:09:30 PM

A new sorority doesn't mean more girls or better girls. It means less girls in the existing sororities (even less chance to hook up with someone at a mixer). And they would be recruiting from the same pool of girls that rush the existing houses

By: uhhhh?
by: most guys agreeJan 16, 2015 8:05:19 PM

I agree it doesn't mean better girls but it does mean more girls and a better chance to hook up. More bids for more girls and another sorority for fraternities to have mixers with. Plus the ridiculous numbers sororities get here will shrink which means tighter sisterhoods. Its a win win for everyone.

By: most guys agree
by: butJan 16, 2015 10:34:22 PM

A new sorority doesn't mean more girls, it means smaller numbers in the current houses. And it doesn't mean "better sisterhoods" either. Some houses, at least one in particular makes sure that every single member knows each other. You can function fine with a sisterhood of 60 girls, or a sisterhood of 400 girls like they have at some of the big SEC schools. It's more of a chapter culture thing than a need for expansion.

And, any girls who are "top tier material" will go to the already established top tier houses, and the others will filter down to the new sorority. Plus, when a colony happens, it happens after formal recruitment. So, while they do get girls who dropped out of rush for whatever reason or want to be part of the new experience, they also get a lot of the leftovers that got cut. So, the new house would be full of weirdos most likely, and fraternities will not want to mix with them anyway.

Bringing a new sorority is a different process than it is for guys. It's not as black and white as fraternity expansion. There are different needs and different factors. Plus NPC sororities are subject to things like quota and total for membership numbers that fraternities don't have. It's just not as simple as, 'OH YEAH, MORE GIRLS!'

By: but
#10  by: feeling   

I think that DZ, Sigma Kappa or Gamma Phi would be a better fit for our campus than KKG.

By: feeling

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.