facebook

serious question - top tier?

by: Incoming freshman

Hi I'm going through sorority rush this fall and I don't really understand the obsession with being Top Tier. If I join a low tier sorority, will guys like point and laugh as I walk by wearing my letters? Will my sisters be mean to me? Will my house be small and dumpy? I know this may sound sarcastic but what would happen if I don't get into a Top Tier?

Posted By: Incoming freshman
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: honest answer   

Each of the sororities have something to offer and have their own particular type of girls, pretty much. Some of the groups are huge partiers, some are nice, quiet girls who study a lot, etc. You need to go where you feel you fit in.

That being said, some groups have better sisterhood than others. Some have better physical houses than others.

It's really about perceived reputation. If you join a group that's known for partying and hooking up, guys will assume you will too. Likewise if you join a group that's known for staying in, studying and having girls night.

One of the biggest differences is who invites who to mixers. Generally, the top tier sororities have more mixer invites to pick from, and thus have a more active social life. And the better fraternities ask the better sororities to mix.

By: honest answer
#2  by: No   

No one is going to point and laugh. Your sisters won't be mean to you. They all joined the same sorority and love it for different reasons so why would they be mean to you? You can always be social with many fraternities and meet guys at their parties if your sorority doesn't mix with them.

By: No
by: ^Aug 6, 2014 4:54:56 PM

this is true

Honestly, don't worry about tiers, just join where you feel comfortable. Being greek is what's important

By: ^
#3  by: truth   

Some of the "top tier" houses have terrible sisterhoods while some of the "lower tier" have super close knit sisterhoods. Choose whichever house you feel most comfortable with the girls.

As far as mixer invites, while some of the "top tier" receive more, the bottom tier are never struggling to fill up their social schedule. They get plenty of invites.

By: truth
by: but alsoAug 9, 2014 2:29:38 PM

some of the top tier houses have great sisterhoods, and some of the bottom tier houses have terrible sisterhoods.

It all really depends.

By: but also
#4  by: PRO   

Also, guys at Tech won't laugh at any girl. Unless she's trying to be funny, in which case they will laugh like she's the most hilarious person ever.

By: PRO
#5  by: TRUU   

lol ^

By: TRUU
#6  by: AGirl   

Just know that some houses do have a rep for uglier girls. Its somewhat true of course but doesnt matter alot wont be the end of the world but dont let people tell you your social life will be the exact same at top tier vs bottom tier

By: AGirl
#7  by: jacket   

People definitely won't laugh and point. As a girl at Tech, you live The Ratio, so what sorority you're in is less important to guys than the fact that you're a girl. I would suggest rushing and seeing what happens. When you're rushing, you're not going to know what a top tier or a low tier sorority is. You're going to find out whether there's a group that's right for you, and whether it's considered top or low tier shouldn't matter and probably won't be obvious. It's also easy to have friends in other sororities. Just yesterday I was hanging out with girls in a different sorority than my own, and I go out with them to parties pretty regularly. We also have CPC positions which allow you to get to better know girls in sororities other than your own, too.
I think it's all an attitude thing, though. If you have the belief that your sorority is worse than the other ones because it doesn't have a social event this weekend or whatever, then you're going to be unhappy. If you look at your sorority's strengths, then you'll be happy. Every sorority here at Tech has something to offer. And remember, there's something about just going Greek in general. As they say, no matter your letters we're all Greek together.

By: jacket
#8  by: chod   

The "worst" sororities at Tech get just as many invites as the "best" ones... THe ratio and which side of it you're on is what determines how much you like GT. You're a girl at GT who is also going Greek. You will have an amazing social life....

By: chod

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.