facebook

random sororitys

by: Just wondering

Why are there random sororities and not a lot of the traditionally good ones at tech? We could easily dump alpha gam, alpha phi and achio and add tri delt, chi o, kappa and theta.

Posted By: Just wondering
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: Yeah   

Alpha xi could go for that matter too. They're not good at all nationally

By: Yeah
#2  by: GT   

This is why greek life sux. Need more decent sororities

By: GT
#3  by: But   

Just look at the frats. There are some decent names who still suck. Like chi phi is legendary at UGA and pretty irrelevant at tech. Similar story with kappa sig, which is great at some schools and couldn't matter less at tech. Even chi psi is decent at some schools and laughable here

By: But
by: CounterpointAug 5, 2014 10:46:51 PM

Chi Phi and Kappa Sig are pretty widely regarded as both on their way up. Chi Psi is meh though, I agree with you on that

By: Counterpoint
#4  by: well   

It is what it is. Alpha Phi is the newest and it was between them, KD and Pi Phi when presentations happened. The traditionally southern sororities (Phi Mu and ADPi) didn't want another southern chapter as competition, so, they voted against KD, and will continue to push against KD. I'm sure the same would happen with TriDelt.

Alpha Xi is similar size nationally to Phi Mu, Gamma Phi, AOII, Tri Delt and Pi Phi. Also, they've been here 60 years.

Alpha Gam and AChiO have also been here a pretty long time. That was the decision that was made in the 70s.

By: well
by: wellJul 26, 2014 11:50:03 AM

Further, Theta has never shown any interest in expanding to Tech. When a school opens for expansion, the national groups submit interest packets (if they are interested) and then groups are selected to present.

And Phi Mu and ADPi are not good nationally either. Neither are good anywhere out of the south. ADPi is only good in Georgia and Florida. Go up North and ADPi and Phi Mu are ALWAYS bottom chapters. Meanwhile Zeta and Alpha Phi are actually the two biggest sororities nationally.

So, basically, what I'm saying is your information and perception is wrong.

Our greek life is also pretty good and active. The sororities here are good and each have their own niche they fill. The name of the sorority doesn't make the girls any different. Even if ChiO, Kappa, and Theta were here, they would still be recruiting from the same pool of girls and you'd still be complaining.

By: well
#5  by: you're an ass   

Would you rather have Alpha Sigma Alpha, Theta Phi Alpha, Sigma Delta Tau and Phi Sigma Sigma here?

Yeah, that's what I thought. Our groups are just fine.

By: you're an ass
#6  by: agreed   

www.newsweek.com/college-rankings-2012-top-sororities-64461< br />
I'd be happy to see some bigger names here

By: agreed
by: ?Jul 27, 2014 5:12:05 PM

What do you think will happen if we add these "bigger" name sororities? Do you think there will be groves of girls leaving SEC schools to come to ours?

By: ?
by: ^^Jul 27, 2014 9:19:52 PM

would that be such a bad thing? to have a smart and more social campus.. georgia tech would benefit from that a lot. instead of the socially inept and awkward campus we're known as, we could be the UVA or UNC of engineering and that would be a real step in the right direction

By: ^^
by: ummJul 27, 2014 9:42:35 PM

yeah actually, girls with parents who went to SEC schools would feel more comfortable exploring a school with greek life they recognize and want to be a part of. and this is the kind of demographic georgia tech should focus on attracting more of.

currently, georgia tech is excels at academics, no question, but success outside of college is also majorly dependent on how charismatic and frankly, likable you are. More social behavior (which would come from a greater portion of the student body entering with a social mindset) would do wonders for the school.

By: umm
by: to aboveJul 28, 2014 8:16:11 AM

I'm not saying it's a bad thing, I just don't think a vast majority of students chooses a school based on what chapters are present in their Greek Life. Most pick based on what they want to study. The absence of Greek Life might be a deal breaker, but not necessarily the chapters present. Even if there were, say, a Chi Omega on campus, there is no guarantee that that student ends up in that chapter.

A bigger Greek Life might compel more students to give us a second look, but I don't think "recognizing" the chapters is that important since chapter reputations change so much by campus.

By: to above
by: ^Jul 28, 2014 8:19:49 AM

Finally! Someone who gets it and knows what they're talking about.

Yes, bigger names might help with that second look at greek life, but it's not a guarantee for anything else. Even if there were bigger names, they still have the same pool of PNMs to pick from and will end up with the same kinds of girls.

And also, the above is correct, chapter reputations change so much from campus to campus. ABC might be fantastic in Alabama and horrible in North Carolina, etc. That could happen here too, we could get Kappa or ChiO or whoever and all the top tier material girls would've already joined the top chapters.

By: ^
#7  by: alright   

regardless of whether 'bigger names' would attract a more social student population, the motion to become a more lively and social campus needs to be a vocalized and supported

By: alright
by: butJul 28, 2014 11:32:35 AM

yeah, but this isn't going to be solved by telling all the antisocial students to 'go greek!' and end up with a lower standard greek system

By: but
by: thisJul 28, 2014 2:07:46 PM

Exactly.

By: this
#8  by: so   

so the consensus seems to be that Georgia tech should attract a higher percentage of this type of demographic. how would this happen?

By: so
#9  by: CPC Sux   

AND to add to the list of irrelevant sororities... CPC is adding another chapter on campus. Honestly I think CPC tries to get irrelevant sororities just to make AXO look better.... Apparently the committee that decided to add a new sorority was led by the old CPC president, an AXO.

AND.. the last time campus had the chance to vote which sorority was coming - the top tier sororities were the only ones who voted for KD bc the other sororities didn't want the competition

By: CPC Sux
by: uhhhh??Aug 6, 2014 5:04:12 PM

The vote for expansion hadn't happened before school let out. I don't know about when we'll get another chapter but we are going to need one soonish. It seems like number of girls signed up for recruitment are down this year though.

And CPC doesn't decide to just randomly add another chapter. That's not how expansion works for NPC chapters. If it's not one of the 26 National Panhellenic Chapters it could be a different story though.

The way panhellenic expansion works is that the chapter advisors meet and assess the campus and decide if it's a good time to open for expansion. If they decide to open, a bulletin is sent out to NPC informing them and all groups not present on campus that Georgia Tech is open for expansion. Then, national groups not present (TriDelt for example), if they're interested in chartering a chapter, submit interest packets. Last time 9 groups submitted packets. Then the present chapters vote and narrow down to ~3 chapters who get to present. People attend the presentations, and then the current chapters again vote for which one they decide to bring on. The new sorority spends a semester(ish) tabling and promoting and then colonize following formal recruitment. It's a big process and it's not decided just on a whim.

Also, Phi Mu & ADPi voted hard against KD last time and Chi Omega Tau, the local that became Alpha Phi had tried to become a chapter of Alpha Phi in like 2003, so Alpha Phi was their first choice anyhow.

By: uhhhh??
by: ^Aug 7, 2014 8:01:07 AM

Thank you! How many girls are signed up?

By: ^
by: uhhhh??Aug 7, 2014 8:39:14 AM

I'm not sure exactly how many are signed up. Last I heard was around ~270. Just based on last year's quota of 45, we would need to have 315 girls go through recruitment and none drop out, to be equal to last year.

Quota and total need to keep increasing for expansion to happen. Hopefully more girls are still signing up/will keep signing up until the 14th that I haven't heard about.

By: uhhhh??
by: wonderAug 7, 2014 12:45:20 PM

I wonder if Panhellenic and sororities had a more active social media presence over the summer if it would encourage more girls to go through recruitment.

By: wonder
by: yeah!Aug 7, 2014 2:00:45 PM

seriously!! I was thinking the same thing. They should be promoting and encouraging girls to go greek, and chapters should be allowed to keep their facebooks/twitters/tumblrs active

By: yeah!
by: Final NumbersAug 15, 2014 8:32:54 AM

Anyone know the final number of girls going through recruitment?

By: Final Numbers
#10  by: WOW   

Calling Alpha Chi and Alpha Phi random sororities...geez! Two of the largest and most prestigious sororities. Extremely strong nationals.

By: WOW

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.